A Conversation for Notes From a Small Planet

Won't even drink iced tea...

Post 1

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

This statement makes more sense in the culture of the Southern US than elsewhere.

Iced tea in Virginia and neaby is considered an indulgence, a drink often quaffed by someone seeking to waste time. The rituals one goes through to get as much sugar to dissolve in the drink as possible can take upwards of ten minutes for the particularly bored. Then you're expected to drink slowly, usually while talking to someone else.

Also, tea is the least harmful caffeinated drink you could manage to get away with. So maybe she was referring both to the politicians' serious, busy demeanor and his unwillingness to sully himself with even a very mild legal drug.

If you ask me, the statement also signals that she's in denial. It's akin to saying, "That man next door is an axe murderer? Surely not! He's always been nice to my cats, and he turned down a joint just yesterday."

We're talking about comparisons that are just plain irrelevant.


Won't even drink iced tea...

Post 2

egon

I drank a bottle of iced lemon tea on Newcastle station today.

Someone please spank me, I've been a bad, bad boy. Is it any wonder our moral values are collapsing round our ears when people go around drinking this dangerous cocktail of lemon and (shock, horror) tea, from a bottle which has been (dare I say it) refrigerated?

I mean, how dare people like myself dare to call into question the moral fibre of our politicians when we go around encouraging such vile, despicable actions as the consumption of evil Liptonice.

Oh, and Ormy- are you sure it's a good idea to give him your address? He might take out a contract, or sexually harrass you, you know what American politicians are like

smiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smiley


Won't even drink iced tea...

Post 3

Captain_SpankMunki [Keeper & Former ACE] Thanking <Diety of choice> for the joy of Goo.

The situation has far surpassed the seriousness of drinking iced tea.
You have freely admitted that you were at Newcastle Station, a most heinous crime.

Liam.


Won't even drink iced tea...

Post 4

egon

smiley - smiley

Guilty. But I was leaving!


Won't even drink iced tea...

Post 5

Ormondroyd

Thanks for the cultural insight, Frag! How strange! I freely admit that I consume quite a lot of smiley - tea, and I buy it from my local supermarket. Should that supermarket be considered to be supplying me with drugs? smiley - bigeyes

Well, excuse me. I need another fix. (smiley - runs off to switch kettle on)


Won't even drink iced tea...

Post 6

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Fix me up with a shot of Tea too, How milk sugar, if your making smiley - winkeye

Tea, Oh Wounderous Tea.

-- DoctorMO --


Won't even drink iced tea...

Post 7

Bagpuss

But ice smiley - tea is entirely different. I should know - almost any time I was at someone's house in Canada I got plied with the dross. smiley - yuk To be avoided. They have iced coffee as well. Even iced Cappuccino.


Won't even drink iced tea...

Post 8

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Oh Kak, how nice is it to be given un brewed tea? Not very.

-- DoctorMO --


Key: Complain about this post