Chain Stories - A Game

3 Conversations

A game, devised independently by large numbers of bored students/schoolchildren/officeworkers with a lot of time on their hands, but an inability to go anywhere interesting.

The rules1 consist of one person writing a word, sentence or paragraph (or more) in the style of a story and then passing the piece of paper (or email, in the case of the office worker) onto the next person, who continues the story. This continues, cycling through the participants, until the story reaches its natural conclusion2.

For this to work, everyone must agree on a few basic guidelines, but there are a number of versions available.

Variations

Free For All: Write whatever you like - but beware, this can get confusing.

No Offense: Inclusion of persons present is not allowed - some people can get rather upset if you use their name for a serial killer.

Squeaky Clean: No rude words or sexual references - suitable for family viewing.

Constant Characters: Characters may only be removed by the participant who created that character - this stops people removing your character before they've had a chance to do anything interesting, but remember that too many characters battling for attention never looks good.

Control Freak: Characters and locations may only be changed by the player who initiated the story - this leads to a more structured story, but it's dull and can lead to rebellion among the ranks.

A similar, but shorter version of this is called Consequences, where there are set topics that must be written about.

This is not really a party game, but a game when you have a lot of spare time on your hands and nothing to fill it with. If you wear out your imaginations on this one and still have time, why not have a look at Party Games, Identity Games or Improvisational Games.

So have fun, everyone, but remember to send H2G2 a cut of the royalties when you get published.

1If that is what they can be called.2Or until everyone runs out of ideas

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A756614

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more