Improvisational Games Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Improvisational Games

5 Conversations

The following list of improvisational games has been inspired by the UK television show Whose Line Is It Anyway? The premise of that show is that a group of four people and a fifth 'Gamemaster' all participate in different games. The catch is that with suggestions from the audience, they do it all off the top of their heads. Some of these games can be fun, and the following is a list of some of the games from the show that are easily played at home. Being improvisational games, no props are required, just people.

Questions

All four people take part in this game. The premise of this game is that two of the four people are put into a certain imaginary situation suggested by someone, and simply have a conversation that relates to the situation. The hard bit is that they can only talk in questions and if either person slips up and says something that is not in the form of a question, they are buzzed out and another takes their place and continues the conversation. Usually the four people get in groups of two and go to either side of the room and only one of the pair is 'in' at any time.

Super Heroes

All four people take part in this game. It starts with one super hero sitting around. His super power is usually suggested by the audience as is the crisis that he must face, for example, the world is running out of potato chips, but anyone with a suggestion will do. The game starts as the hero is sitting around, he or she discovers the crisis, then one of their super friends arrives. When that super hero arrives, his/her power is named by the first person and they immediately assume that persona. Then the next one comes in and is named by the second and so on. They continue to interact until the last one comes in and somehow solves the crisis.

90-second Alphabet

This game includes three people. It starts as these three people are placed in a certain situation, suggested by a member of the audience, and they interact in various ways. The catch is that starting at a random letter of the alphabet, the three must speak and each consecutive sentence they say must start with the next letter in the alphabet. They must go through the alphabet and back to the beginning letter in 90 seconds.

Party Quirks

This game includes all four people. The set-up is that one person is hosting an imaginary party and the other three 'guests' come in one at a time. The catch is that each one of them has a unique quirk or characteristic, for example - Quirk: All Charlton Heston movies. Action: Impersonate Moses, Ben-Hur, and other roles he played. These quirks are gathered from the audience. Each person is out and goes to sit down after the host correctly guesses his or her quirk. Game ends when all three are gone.

World's Worst

The premise of this game is that the four people are given categories of world's worst something or other and they all give examples of something in that category, for example, famous messages that arrived too late, such as 'Custer, stay where you are'. They each speak as soon as they get an idea.

All these games are most enjoyable if you try to make jokes and be funny with the suggestions. They all require no props and are easily played at parties.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A360514

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more