A Conversation for Self Scan Checkouts

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A75379341 - Self Scan Checkouts

Post 1

barnsley sime

Entry: Self Scan Checkouts - A75379341
Author: barnsley sime - U14642485

my first attempt.


A75379341 - Self Scan Checkouts

Post 2

barnsley sime

and i don't think i did that right.


A75379341 - Self Scan Checkouts

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

It's in the Writing Workshop all right!

You could say something in this about the advantages of self-scan tills to the shop - although they need somebody to man them almost full time, that person can man four self-scans simultaneously, which disposes of the need for three till operators.


A75379341 - Self Scan Checkouts

Post 4

barnsley sime

cheers.
try six tills and just me, the monkey pressing the buttons!
i was trying to write it from a non objective point of view, but having dealt with them for 6 years, it's difficult!
i'll take another stab and edit it a bit later.


A75379341 - Self Scan Checkouts

Post 5

barnsley sime

tempted to delve a bit deeper into the life of a night shift supermarket employee. just need to think how i can do so without getting fired!


A75379341 - Self Scan Checkouts

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

Oh, I'd love to read that. Btw, have a look here: A66652842

I guess the Alternative Writing Workshop <./>RF5</.>might be the better forum for your article, so if you'd like to move it there, let me know and I'll tell you how you can do that. smiley - smiley

Bel

smiley - somersault


A75379341 - Self Scan Checkouts

Post 7

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Hi barnsley,

You could try writing an Entry on 'how to use Self Scan Checkouts', and use your experience to explain how to avoid the common mistakes. I've found them okay, as long as you follow the screen instructions to a T.

Though, we had some mishaps before we fully understood that. For instance, I'm fussy about how I pack my bags, I like all fridge items in one bag, all pet items in another, etc but I could only put things in one bag at a time at the self scan, so I either had to stop being fussy and mix things together or scan items in the order I wanted to bag them.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do smiley - smiley

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly


A75379341 - Self Scan Checkouts

Post 8

Bluebottle

I propose Back to Entry as the author has smiley - elvised and this is more an opinion piece than factual (even though it certainly has more than a small degree of truth about it smiley - winkeye.) There should be an article in the guide on self-scan checkouts, though.

<BB<


A75379341 - Self Scan Checkouts

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

My favourite experience with self-scan checkouts was in B&Q. I was buying a wood and glass door, the usual size of about 6 feet by 3 and so heavy that they advised using two people to lift it. I didn't have two people, so I was carrying it carefully myself.

I scanned it in at the checkout and the system (which now knew that it was a giant, heavy door) told me to put it on the tiny scales beside the checkout.

smiley - biggrin

I agree that this should be sent back to entry.


A75379341 - Self Scan Checkouts

Post 10

h2g2 Guide Editors

Done.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more