A Conversation for The Zen Method of Writing a Term Paper

more Zen for writing term papers

Post 1

Zaph00d

Having written a fair amount of term papers, here is my sure way to get good to excellent grades on them. But, beware, it takes training.

1. First things last:
The topic and your summary are to be written in the end. After all: when you write a term paper the Zen way, you do not know what you are writing about when you start (see below).

2. Research and writing:
Your best bet is to do as much research as you need until your mind says: "enough", i.e. until you find that you have no clue what you are really researching. Then go and write down your confusion. That is your term paper.

3. Trust yourself:
Do not think about how a reader will look at your work. Remember: it is your work, not the reader's. So you decide what goes in and what not. After all, you have done the research.

My experience has been that a paper written in one go (one all-nighter) is better than a paper written over a period of six months. But: your research may have taken six months. Longer papers (over 30 pages) tend to take two days, so budget for that.

4. Final words:
Don't forget to put in a bibliography of all the material you read before you finished the term paper, and don't forget to clearly mark where you take ideas or quotes directly from someone else's work.


Key: Complain about this post

more Zen for writing term papers

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more