A Conversation for P.U.D.D.I.N.G.

The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 1

Moving On



The post just arrived with a letter from the DLA - my first line of appeal has been rejsected.

Apparently I'm not disabled enough to be considered.

The fact that I'm in constant pain, cannot move particually well, am restricted by movement - am, in short, not physically able enough to lead a normal, active and above all productive life appears to count for diddly squat

I am 48 - and I didn't plan on becoming physically disabled.

This morning I found that I can no longer lift the kettle up if it's full.

A bit of a pig that, if the kettle's been filled ready the night beforehand and you can't lift it up to pour out the boiling water to make a pot of tea, I'd have thought. Just as well my teenaged sons are still living with me I suppose.

Now it's definately a face to face appeal, with The Board.

God help me, because I don't think any other bugger's going to lift a hand - except me.

And to be honest, I'm running out of fight. I've been running on empty far too long.

To say I'm incenced would be to leave the words effing livid out of the equation

To say I am disappointed would be about as inadequate as my anger.

What does it take to get these morons to listen to a person?

What is it going to take to get through to them (and the medical profession as a whole) that their complete system is misguided, shortsighted, archaic and about as much use as a chocolate fire guard?

Thank you for listening - and if anyone can come up with some practical suggestion I'd be interested.



The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 2

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

When I first applied for DLA I wasn't really in the best condition mentally to be dealing with such a long and stressful form to be filling out and wasn't strong enough to appeal when they didn't give me the mobility component [the component I was most eligable for] but did give me the personal care component [which I was worried about losing if I did try to appeal].

The reason I didn't get the mobility component I later realised was because of the way I had phrased one answer to one question.

http://www.bhas.org.uk/dla/index.shtml

Has a really good set of guides on what the DLA are looking for in your answers to form and have clear advice on the appeal process.
The most important bit of advice to anyone applying for DLA is to remember to describe how thing are at their worst! Never tell them what you can do, especially on a good day and never tell them what you can achieve if you push yourself really hard.


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 3

Moving On

M'mm. I know all about not feeling strong enough to think straight enough - especially right now.

Like you, the personal care aspect isn't *too* much of a problem - it's the moving about bit that I need the help with

The awful thing is - or at least, until I've had a proper read of your link (for which thanks) I *did* tell them what it was like on the worst day as far as I am aware

I'm just wondering how bad the worst day technically has to be. If they came and shared a day with me I'm totally certain they'd agree even a "good" day is pretty grim.

And this is the second time I've tried for it. Again, like you, I simply didn't have the strength to face all the palava of an appeal first time around.

Frankly, this time, I am so bloody mad at the utter stupidity and injustice of this system I will - despite saying differently earlier on - go down fighting.

I'll just toodle off and read the link and bookmark it for future reference, Kamanchi - and many thanks for replying. I was feeling terribly alone when I wrote that first entry.


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 4

Moving On

Ah... I see what I did wrong now - I used the expression "good" days - I should have used the phrase "better days"

Garrr - what IS this? A test in good written English or what?
smiley - steamsmiley - grr

OK - back to the drawing board. But at least I have a guide to the correct language now

I rather think that common or garden anglo saxon oathage may just NOT be the right way to go after all.....


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 5

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

"When I first applied for DLA I wasn't really in the best condition mentally to be dealing with such a long and stressful form to be filling out and wasn't strong enough to appeal when they didn't give me the mobility component"

Same here. In fact I had a social worker come round and complete my forms since the very thought of them sent to bed in floods of tears.

I was denied mobility payments despite the fact that I am so agoraphobic I can barely leave the house without poanic attacks, and on bad days I can't manage that - except for what have become my 'safe zones'
I could not travel on public transport for medical appointments etc.

Another advisor suggested appeal, but that would mean going to a tribunal etc. The fact that I was in no way capable of going for an appeal should have been reason enough to get!

I get it now but only because I described the worst days I have. There are definaitely phrases they look out for rather than looking at each case individually.

The whole system sucks.

It really p*sses me off too. I feel like I have to beg for sick benefits when I my GP will hgappily state that i am in no way fit for work - and quite frankly shouldn't even be left alone.


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 6

smurfles

smiley - steamI really need to chat to you ev...i'll try to ring you sometime this week.smiley - cheerup
Sorry they haven't reconsidered your case,but i think they DO need to see you sometimes,before you get across to them how you cope.I have to agree with kamanchi,i wasn't in the best frame of mind at the time i filled the forms out,and i was even worse when i'd finished!!!smiley - hug


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 7

Moving On

I've just called in the cavalry - local Social Services Disabilty Claims people - I'm being interviewed (at home) next Tuesday. P'raps there is a god after all.

What with them,

a 50 item list of symptoms I either physically suffer from or am unable to do, (still increasing, as the more I jot down, the more I become aware of, if you see what I mean)

Komanchi's web site reference

(and another one an off site mate emailed I'll nip back and get the address and post it here incase it helps anyone else)

My own bloody mindedness

..and a little bit of support from my friends... here, *and* out there

I should, in theory have a sporting chance of achieving things

And if I don't?

I'll worry about thatlater if I don't.



To paraphrase another researcher's wordology

"Mood... MILITANT... smiley - erm shrinking to wimpy when I know what a bloody palava and battle there still is before I get anywheresmiley - sadface


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 8

Moving On

And so the damned nightmare continues

I sent in a screed to the DLA (late,) because I wasn't thinking clearly enough to remember which date it was supposed to be in by - new medication was giving major problems and I 'lost' a couple of weeks at least, somewhere between then and when it should have been.

Coupla days ago finally got an acknowledgement of said screed.

Today I get 96 pages of waffle and justification telling me basically

"Yes- you're in pain"
"Yes, it doesn't look like you're going to improve"
"yes... it must be dreadful" (It is, believe me)

and

No

You haven't got a prayer because we don't give a monkies if you're in schtuck: because you're still breathing, capeable of complaining and you can still move a bit - therefore you're capeable, therefore we don't have to help you.


...... Unless of course you'd like to travel 2 counties from where you live and face us - in which case, *because* you've proven you're capeable of getting here, it's blatently obvious you don't need help, so we'll refuse you anywaysmiley - evilgrin

Na-na-ni-nah-nah

And so on.

And so on.

I now have 4 weeks to produce a hero, a knight in shining armour, or failing that a hit man.

Offers, anyone?


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 9

smurfles

hi ev..you should have rung me ...i'm assuming that the papers you got were copies of the ones you filled in???That's because you're going to appeal,and they send the papers so that you can see where they are argueing that you aren't entitled to DLA.Iwent to appeal,and i had to travel.(admittedly not very far),to get there,but they sent for me knowing that i was agrophobic.Bily took me,and a friend came with us,as i couldn't walk without two people,and we didn't have the wheelchair then.
Give me a call after teatime tomorrow,just to let me know where the appeal is being held,and we'll have a chat.Otherwise we can talk on monday,when it'll be quieter here.....unless the children have invaded,seen as it's school holidays.And dont worry....smiley - cheerup.smiley - hug.


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 10

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

I have just had my renewal forms through (plus a reminder that I haven't returned them yet).

I have been putting them off because they stress me out.

I hope you get it sorted.

smiley - cuddle

Mort


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 11

smurfles

Hello there Mort!!They do exactly the same to me,and i respond exactly like you!!!Whe they arrive i try to ignore them,then i do all the easy bits,and put them to one side,It takes me days,and i HATE the ones that ask how many times a day,and how long each time ,for everything.smiley - steamsmiley - headhurts
I usually get the letter asking why they haven't received them too!!
Then the l-o-n-g wait till the decision arrives.It's mental torture!!!


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 12

Moving On

They can't get to me that way - I was done over by experts years ago, she says darkly.....

But it does wear you down, doesn't it?smiley - blue


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 13

smurfles

It DOES wear ypu down,you're right there ev.I swear everytime the renewal arrives that i won't let it stress me....and by the time the first week after i've posted them has gone i'm waiting for the postman every morning.I'm sure he must think i'm a bit nutty,(he's probably right),but it becomes an obsession...."I CAN'T MISS THE POSTIE"..type thing!!I've never actually got to the stage where i sit behind the door and grab the mail.......but not far off!
smiley - laugh


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 14

Moving On

smiley - laugh

oh boy, I know *that* feeling, very well, only in reversre - I go on the lines of "no news is good(ish) news"..and leave any envelope I don't like the look of in a festering pile until I feel gutsy enough to open it!


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 15

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Sorry to hear that sucess has not yet been obtained. Don't let the basts grind you down and all that!smiley - oksmiley - winkeye


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 16

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

"leave any envelope I don't like the look of in a festering pile until I feel gutsy enough to open it!"

That is exactly how I handle things.


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 17

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Not knowing exactly what was in the ominous envelope would drive me up the wall.


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 18

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Big smiley - applause for me - I just completed section 1 of my renewal form smiley - cdoublesmiley - yawn.

Just Section 2 to go... smiley - headhurts


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 19

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Well done indeed m'dear...smiley - bubbly


The Crippled Disability Living Allowance System

Post 20

Moving On

smiley - applause indeed, Mort

Keep at it!smiley - ok

And thanks for your encouragement Some Otherness - you speak much the same language as mesmiley - ok It gave me a realsmiley - biggrin

Any of that fizzy stuff left? If we're going to be stressed, we may as well be stressed in some form of style, eh?


Key: Complain about this post