A Conversation for An h2g2 Chat?

Chat

Post 1

Hornbeck

Why not just set up a IRC chat for H2G2? This way everyone can talk at all times of the day? It is not that hard and I am sure that plenty of people would use it. I would even be willing to find someone to host this off their site if you are not able to do one on the BBC site.
John


Chat

Post 2

Martin Harper

Not everyone has an IRC client, or can install one. There's the same problem with MSN, etc. That's not a killer reason not to do it, though. smiley - shrug


Chat

Post 3

Silly Willy

The bbc to have an IRC server:

irc://chat.bbc.co.uk

I'm sure they'd be willing to create a room, and I'm sure it would be fairly easy to create a java applet for it (since that's how most people access th channels I think).
It's also possible to enable and disable the channels at different times of the day.
And it has an automatic logging bot so stuff isn't lost.
It would also mean that we could use whatever client we wanted to use it.


Chat

Post 4

Martin Harper

Cool! I'd suspected the BBC would be too concerned at the lack of pre-moderation on IRC - nice to be proved wrong! smiley - biggrin


Chat

Post 5

Silly Willy

There aren't any unmanned channels, and they aren't afraid to kick (I've no idea what their ban policy is either), but it's a starting place.
And I rather like the idea of not having to load graphic intensive webpages in order to chat...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more