A Conversation for H2G2 Bookworms Club

anyone still subscribed?

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

is it about time we got this thing all over the front page?


anyone still subscribed?

Post 2

Z

I am stil subscribed:

I agree with should re-colonise it. One of my new years resolutions is to read one, so far I've managed four books so far which isn't bad.

I'd love to discuss what we're reading, and whether we enjoy it.


anyone still subscribed?

Post 3

Titania (gone for lunch)

Subscribed, and reading, currently the first book in the Game of Thrones series.


anyone still subscribed?

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

I'm here, now, too. smiley - biggrin


anyone still subscribed?

Post 5

Z

I wonder if we should go like Lils, and have a thread at a time, rather than lots of different ones.


anyone still subscribed?

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

That's certainly a good idea. If somebody wants to discuss a specific book we could always change the subject line within the thread which might make it easier to keep track?


anyone still subscribed?

Post 7

Sho - employed again!

I was thinking that we could either do one convo at a time (but then I'll stick to the What book thread...)

or "rooms" or whatever.

for example. I'm an avid fan of Sharpe and Hornblower. Now my dad has put me on to Sgt Jack Crosssman - a character in a series of novels set in the Crimea. I'd be really happy to talk about that, Sharpe, Hornblower and other similar along the lines (and in mind of) "if you liked those, what do you think of these" type of recs, as well as "well I liked xx bit, or xx character"...

I'm also always on the lookout for books that will help me understand the course I'm doing.

As well as how to get a handle on maths and Physics. (book recs for that)


anyone still subscribed?

Post 8

aka Bel - A87832164

Well, I'm easy. And I love Hornblower (but haven't read a single Sharpe book yet).


anyone still subscribed?

Post 9

Z

yes, we need something different from a thread in ask. smiley - smiley

I would love to get this project going again, I really really would.

Maths - well there's 'Alexs Adventures in Numberland', and physics, I enjoy Marcus Choan.


anyone still subscribed?

Post 10

aka Bel - A87832164

Have a look here, Sho:

http://www.mathe.tu-freiberg.de/~hebisch/cafe/cafebuecher.html

I have a Math book that's really good, but I can't recall the title. smiley - senior


anyone still subscribed?

Post 11

Secretly Not Here Any More

smiley - book


anyone still subscribed?

Post 12

KB

I'd like to read something about the "Sharpe" era from the French point of view. Napoleonic war novels are two-a-penny, but they are pretty much all Sharpe clones. smiley - sleepy

John Le Carre's George Smiley novels are my next 'project'. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to that one.


anyone still subscribed?

Post 13

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I'm still subscribed and reading, too. smiley - smiley

I'd love to see this get busy again. I need more recommendations!


anyone still subscribed?

Post 14

Metal Chicken

I'm still subscribed too and still reading, currently about music and about fossils. I know there's still the 'What are you reading at the moment?' thread in Ask, but that is only of use for 'in the moment' comments, hardly somewhere people can jump in and add to a conversation about their favourite book last mentioned 50 LEDs earlier so might be nice to have an active forum to come and chat about books.

MC


anyone still subscribed?

Post 15

Sho - employed again!

I've read We Need To Talk About Kelvin which was great, and i notice that Marcus Chown has written a few others so I'll give them ago.

And thanks everyone for being encouraging. When I've finished my book about the Crimean War I might come back and start a Sharpe thread smiley - magic


anyone still subscribed?

Post 16

Z

What did you think of 'We need to Talk about Kevin'?

Right wing propaganda or not?


anyone still subscribed?

Post 17

Sho - employed again!

well, I was just focussing on the science.

ah, Kevin not Kelvin.

I thought it was bloody awful - mostly because before the end I worked out what was actually going on and kept on reading it to see if I was right.

Kelvin - was my 2nd go at that kind of thing (after the Brian Cox / Jeff Forshaw job) which meant i understood it a lot more than the first one. I intend to read them both again to get a bit more of a handle on it.


anyone still subscribed?

Post 18

Z

Talking of physics books I read E = MC2 and why doe sit matter as an audio book. I couldn't follow it, I need dagrams for that stuff.


anyone still subscribed?

Post 19

Vip

I'm reading the McCall Smith "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" books; they are kind and gentle and I don't have to concentrate too much. Anything that makes me smile is for me at the moment.

smiley - fairy


anyone still subscribed?

Post 20

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Still subscribed but reading slowly. Might it be an idea to create a thread for each book, or group of books (or author?) so that as and when new people read them and come to discuss it they can jump in to an exisiting discussion. If we have one thread for discussion then that limits you to being able to discuss things only when they come up because otherwise they will be buried in the backlog.

We Need to Talk About Kevin - well written and beautfully structured, but I bet Sho can guess my opinion of the actual content and characterisation.


Key: Complain about this post