A Conversation for Civilization - The Games

What to do?

Post 1

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Right, your wish is my command, so what would you like me to write about for this soon-to-be fantastic entry? smiley - smiley


What to do?

Post 2

CMaster

Umm, played Civ, Civ III or any of the call to power series. Right a breif overview of one of them. I'm working on an overview of the goal of the entire sreries. Am currently umming and ahhing about whether to include a play guide anywhere.


What to do?

Post 3

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")


I think a playing guide would make the entry too long - my gut feeling is that it will take a lot of space just to explain the game.

Would it be worth agreeing a general structure first, and then dividing up the writing tasks?

Otto


What to do?

Post 4

Ste

A playing guide is another entry in itself.

We could mention the different facets of the game: Technology, goverments, the cities, military units. Different ways to win etc etc.

Just mentioning a brief bit about any of the parts that make up the whole that is Civ and you'll have an entry.

Then you'd have to conclude it with why it is so damn good and addictive (the "just one more turn" syndrome).

Stesmiley - earth


What to do?

Post 5

fords - number 1 all over heaven

I can't remember much from the first Civ (played it on the old Nintendo, remember them? smiley - smiley ) but I am a demon on Civ 2! I can do an overview and play a game again, I also know the 'just one more turn' syndrome all to well...smiley - erm


What to do?

Post 6

DoctorGonzo

Right, now then.

You'll have to explain that there are actually two seperate series of Civ, and there's a debate over ownership of the name. There's been lawsuits thrown around and everything - I think the main dispute was between Activision and Microprose, and possibly Avalon Hill were involved as well. The Sid Meier series, and Alpha Centauri, are a seperate series of games from the Call To Power games. Which is somewhat confusing...


What to do?

Post 7

CMaster

Yeah, I've just written an bit about the combat system. Feel free to comment. One more turn. Then it's 1 in the morning ahhhhh.
Someone should look into the legal issue - I want to know what happened there. And I'm planning to cover the entire Civ series including CtoP. Just want to make sure it's complete. I'm slightly hampered by the fact that I'v only played Civ II, CtoP II very breifly and SMAC. I'm inrigued by all these people saying they've played Civ on all sorts of consoles - NES, Megadrive etc. I always though it was just a PC series.


What to do?

Post 8

fords - number 1 all over heaven

When I found out you could get it on the PC, it made my day, after playing it for so long on consoles! smiley - biggrin


What to do?

Post 9

CMaster

Hmm, my bit on the combat system is kinda jumping in at the deep end.
Can someonoe who's played Civ I describe the basic method of playing the game (In Civ 1). I then plan to build up the modification made by the sequels.


What to do?

Post 10

Ste

If I remember right the combat system in Civ didn't have the "strength bars" of CivII. It was calculated out of probabilities from the ADM of the two units involved. This meant that it was possible for a militia to defeat a battleship, which was silly. That's why the energy bar situation came in, to give a more realistic "average" outcome according to what ADM's the units had.

Did I explain that well?

Stesmiley - earth


What to do?

Post 11

Ste

No I didn't.

In Civ, combat took one attack to win or lose. In CivII it can take a few moves with a few units to overcome a particularly strong unit.

Get me?


What to do?

Post 12

CMaster

I know what you mean.
And Ste, get writin somit for the article smiley - smiley


What to do?

Post 13

Ste

Alright then. smiley - smiley

What shall I write?


What to do?

Post 14

CMaster

Damn ot, why does no one ever volunteer for what they want.
OK, Ste - Basic playing - world map, movement passage of time etc.
fords_prefect - Diplomacy
anyone else - I'd apreciate more info on Civs changes through the ages.


What to do?

Post 15

Ste

Okeydokey.

I'll take "passage of time" as meaning the progress of technological discoveries/science etc., k?

smiley - cheers

Stesmiley - earth


What to do?

Post 16

CMaster

sure


What to do?

Post 17

Ste

Hi CMaster,

I posted my contribution on your personal space.

smiley - cheers

Stesmiley - earth


What to do?

Post 18

CMaster

Hmm, I might want to break that up into more headings. Some screenshots I will find and lot more sense it will make.


What to do?

Post 19

Ste

Do what you like with it smiley - smiley. It's in your hands now smiley - winkeye. If you want me to rewrite some parts just say so in that thread, and I'd be happy to do it smiley - biggrin

I'm insure about screenshots, with the site not using "normal" image file formats and copyright issues etc.

Stesmiley - earth


Key: Complain about this post