A Conversation for Talking Point: How should the BBC be funded?

No Subject

Post 1

The Theory

as an american, we don't pay "tv tax" or whatever it is...

JUST AIR COMMERCIALS. Let the companies pay for BBC for you... plus it gives you a break inbetween shows so that you can get a drink or snack.

peace.


U.S. T.V.

Post 2

Mike

True,
I mean,
Don't talk to me, I'm eating,
I mean,
Obey your thirst. Yeah.
Long live the U.S.A.!


U.S. T.V.

Post 3

The Theory

*Tries to figure out whether that was sarcasm*

peace.


U.S. T.V.

Post 4

Z

We have commerical TV here as well, and (with a few notable exceptions) it's compleate rubbish. The programs are all designed to appeal to someone without two brain cells to rub together. If they do have a factual program it presents it in the most basic way, just a description of the facts no sort of serious disscussion of them. In fact on ITV and Channel 5, (I'm leaving out channel four because it is given a remit by the government to produce more specalist programes, as it it's told what to show they're not just what people want to see)

I have never seen any of the following.
A program mentioning books, art, or even history. All the documentries that there are just put one side of the argument across in a very biased way that would make the worst newspapers proud.

If this was the only kind of rubbish that was on TV then everyone who think that it was what they wanted.

Let me us a metophor. 50 years ago curry was not eaten in the UK on a regular basis, no curry was sold the in the shops, because no one had ever tried it, now it is the most popular dish.

If Moron TV was the only thing that was on offer then people would never try anything better.

When you watch a film or read a book you don't stop for breaks every quature of an hour do you? it would ruin the film or book? it does the same with tv programs? the only reason you like it is because they've taken your concentration away from you.


U.S. T.V.

Post 5

The Theory

*Theory doesn't bother to point out that he doesn't really like tv... nor does he watch it much*

peace.


U.S. T.V.

Post 6

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Theory, that's obvious from the fact you seem to be under the impression that ads only appear *between* shows... smiley - erm


U.S. T.V.

Post 7

Z

I could handle adds if they're between shows, they don't break your train of thought.


U.S. T.V.

Post 8

The Theory

>>Theory, that's obvious from the fact you seem to be under the impression that ads only appear *between* shows...

haha! That wasn't precicely what I meant...

I *meant* to say during...

peace.


U.S. T.V.

Post 9

Researcher Unsettled

It's interesting to note that, when you mention, commercial TV, you feel the need to make exceptions, ie, commercial TV is for people with 2 brain cells, except channel 4 which doesn't fit my argument. The South Bank Show, mentions all the things you claim are never mentioned on commercial tv books, art and history. How about This Week in Politics (ITV) Tim Marlow on Tate Modern (C5) Great Battles of WWII (C5)

I am also curious, I am quite an avid reader and find that breaks in the books (chapters) give me the oportunity to make a sandwich, turn the tv on to catch up on the news or even go to bed, I am capable as are most people, of picking up the plot without it ruining my enjoyment. Although I do agree with your point regarding films.

I don't mind the built in Pee Pause.


Key: Complain about this post