A Conversation for Smileys

Smileys

Post 1

Caleb

smiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smiley:-0


Smileys

Post 2

Jan^

smiley - winkeyesmiley - smileysmiley - bigeyessmiley - sadface
work fine in forum postings, but not in article text - strange innit!


Smileys

Post 3

Caleb

Sure is.. wonder why? smiley - smiley


Smileys

Post 4

msmonsy

just call me the brain dead wonder child. how are the smileys done? i would love to know if anyone would be so kind as to enlighten me i would be forever in your debt and at your service. thank-you


Smileys

Post 5

Jan^

I've explained it under the forum for 31st May on my home page, just for you...... smiley - smiley


Smileys

Post 6

FairlyStrange

thanks a bundle i do appreciate your help.


Smileys

Post 7

msmonsy

the help is much appreciated.


Smileys

Post 8

SMURF

Trying to get to the bottom of this smiley thing. Can anyone recall when they first noticed a smiley? I seem to remember a smiley craze when I wsa in primary school and everyone seemed to be craving a t-shirt with a smiley on. That would be back in the days of Wham, Culture Club (first time round) and Duran Duran.
<>


Smileys

Post 9

Jan^

I remember them from the early 70's - I suspect that they started in 1967 - Peace Man!!!


Smileys

Post 10

FairlyStrange

Being the hippie reject that i am, if i can remember,(they say if you remember the sixties, you were'nt there), i believe you're right, jan. the peace sign came out first, and right at the end of the sixties, the smilet pretty much replaced it. sad thing about it, though.the guy who came up with the idea never made a dime off it and wal-mart commandeered it for their advertising. no, he's not smiling about it at all!


Smileys

Post 11

Caleb

DOWN with Wal-Mart!!!!!!!!!!!! Copyright infringment!


Smileys

Post 12

vegiman:-)

I agree. Not to mention the money made from its look alike PacMan. The gobbling side faced smiley which appeared (to my knowledge) first on the ZX81 (Blast from the past) vegimsmiley - smileyn


Smileys

Post 13

Jan^

Ahhh! the ZX81, looked like a piece of plastic, sold by a piece of plastic, computed like a piece of plastic. Them were the days.......(lapses into nostalgic memories of programs punching cards to look like fish, smiley - fish only better). I thought Pacman started out as a pub video game (not that I went into pubs of course...far too young...)?


Smileys

Post 14

vegiman:-)

You could be right - but I was too drunk to remember smiley - bigeyes

I do remember programing the zx81 in basic. I updated mine with a full size keyboard and a MASSIVE smiley - winkeye 64k of ram. They don't make them like that these days - THANK GOODNESS
vegimsmiley - smileyn


Smileys

Post 15

Jan^

Shock, horror! Wal-mart have just bought ASDA. Does this mean a logo change for that chain? ASsmiley - smileyA ?


Smileys

Post 16

vegiman:-)

It was bound to happen. What about their guarantee to keep prices low forever. Gone up the wall like all other prsmiley - winkeyemises.
vegiman smiley - smiley


Smileys

Post 17

FairlyStrange

Read about that today. I'm not sure the Brittish are ready for a Wal-Mart. Are there any "rednecks" in Brittain? They are a MUST for the success of any Wal-Mart!(I'm from Alabama, so I am well aquainted with the folks who support them!)Just remember that famous "Wallyworld" line...smiley - smiley watch for falling prices! It's nice to know my culture is spreading world wide. Maybe it will get some of it away from here! Seriously, it's a shame. If you have any "Quaint Old Shops" in the area, kiss them goodbye. They are famous for destroying the local retail business. The locals just can't compete.


Smileys

Post 18

vegiman:-)

Whooops;
I will have to watch my back in case they put me out of business
vegimansmiley - sadface


Smileys

Post 19

FairlyStrange

That being the case, I hope "Wallyworld" falls on it's face in your part of the world. I would hate to see one of our own crushed by the behemouth. We actually have cities up the east coast of the U.S. who have refused to allow them to open in their cities for just that reason. I suppose the prices and selection are a boon to the consumer, but the cost to the local culture can be disasterous if not controled. In my part of the world that's not really a problem. I suppose that's because there's not much of a local culture around here; it's all planned subdivisions and franchise business. They just close a pasture and open a city.


Smileys

Post 20

vegiman:-)

Supermarket have killed about 70% of local shops in the UK and many towns are stopping more from openning outside the town centres forcing some of the larger chains to open smaller village shops and/or supplying small shops with their own brands.

I do a home delivery service so unless they offer this to their customers, I should be OK for a while. If they do then Whooops

I am off to bed now its 12.30am here. Catch you later
vegimansmiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post