A Conversation for Prozac

A note to the easily offended

Post 1

Zach Garland

Stuff it out your hindquarters, and get used to it.

Elsewhere in thi forum, someone pointed out that she was mildly offended by this prozac write-up in h2g2.com since she was taking prozac due to 'post-natal depression.' Then other people were goin' yeah! I'm a little offended too.

However, the WAY she said it indicated to me that it was DIFFERENT for HER. That she didn't feel people should make fun of her for taking prosac. It wasn't her fault. She had to take it for a doctor diagnosed ACTUAL problem. AS IF most people take prozac just so they can be made fun of.

OF COURSE that was not her intent, to be offensive in her statement about how offended she was, but one can see how EASILY her words could be just as offensive.

The fact is, this website is going to have material in it from countless sources, and SOME of those sources ARE going to offend you, you being whoever you are. There's gonna be times when I'm offended and I'll probably say something about it.

However, if this thing is going to work, people are gonna have to put on some thicker skins and quit getting offended when any little namby pamby thing comes along.

One of the cornerstones of humor, unfortunately, is making fun of someone or something. Mel Brooks once said, "tragedy is I stub my toe. Comedy is you fall in a manhole and die." It's that simple.

Polack jokes were funny until Polacks started taking them so seriously. Aggie jokes used to be funny until farmers from south Texas started learning so much they began barking orders to everyone else and making more money. Blonde jokes... well blonde jokes are still funny but not if you happen to be naturally blonde.

I for one am getting tired of running of out people to laugh at.

I happen to be a classic depressive (well I think I'm manic depressive, but the shrink didn't use that terminology). I haven't been given prozac but I was given some kinda prozac like stuff once. Trazodone I think it was called? I'm trying Saint John's Wart presently and I don't feel any *twitch* problems *twitch* whatsoever.

Go ahead and make fun of me. It hasn't stopped anyone else before. I often take potshots at myself, namely because if you try to make fun of anybody else nowadays you get a lawsuit slapped on yer butt.

Quit taking things so personally! And suck in that gut!


A note to the easily offended

Post 2

Researcher 35515

ERR, G'Day

I had cause to visit the Shrink recently.
To be a bit different, if that is possible or allowable, I decided to go in the bollocky, starkers, to bare the the facts, but to add a bit of interest to the occassion I decided to wrap myself in the stuff that the residents of The Great Southern Ark call glad-wrap (You know, that clear film they put over food that you store in the fridge until a decision is passed to throw it in the direction of out.
But I digress.
The Shrink took one look at me and said "I can see your nuts"
Anyway, he could see that I had a bit of a problem, but genetics is a funny thing and completely beyond the control of the owner of the genes.
Now here's a funny thing, he didn't prescribe Prozac or any other anti-depressant as he could see that this was one depressed member already.
He presribed trousers and a steering wheel stuck down the front of them. He said it won't make me happy or affect my libido, but it will drive me nuts....

Ted Bluegum...not committed, yet!


A note to the easily offended

Post 3

SMURF

I believe you are referring to me here and I don't take prozac, I take seroxat. And I don't think I actually said I was offended, just a bit concerned and unsure how to take the article.

It's OK to have a joke but I don't see why you or anyone else should have such a problem just because someone says they are not happy with how someone portrays things. People who are offended by something surely have the right to say so.

I am not easily offended but I do feel it is important to put the other side of the story across. That is what the forums are for isn't it?

You need to accept that what one person finds funny, another does not. People are different and each has the right to express their opinion.


A note to the easily offended

Post 4

SMURF

Or maybe you weren't. Who were you referring to as there only seem to be two conversations here and none have the barrage of "I'm offended" you refer to. However, my previous comments still stand.

Also, St. John's Wort can be good for mild depressions but there has been a recent study to suggest it is harmful to your eyes.


A note to the easily offended

Post 5

SMURF

Oh and I'm a natural blonde and find blonde jokes funny (well except the ones that make you want to groan as they're sooooo poor). Interesting blonde joke about the Y2K thing I got by email the other day which I might tell if I can find the time.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more