A Conversation for Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Peer Review: A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 1

Natalie

Entry: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria - A710128
Author: Natalie - U190181

Hello there,

It might not be very substantial or even interesting but that's my home town for you...

Natalie


A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 2

Ausnahmsweise, wie üblich (Consistently inconsistent)

Hi Natalie,

I found it both substantial and interesting.

I did, however, have to resort to an Atlas to see exactly where it is. And I think this is important since your first sentence refers to its out of the way location. Maybe a foot note would be enough. Just to say that its on the north-west coast of England, and maybe mention the county (is it Cumbria? I've lost track since leaving England over 25 years ago.)

Awu.


A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 3

Whisky

How about sticking the following link in the entry...

http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=p&gazString=barrow-in-furness&overrideZoomLevel=1


A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 4

Natalie

Thanks very much indeed Awu - it is indeed in Cumbria, though most people in the UK aren't aware that Cumbria exists!

And thanks very much once again Whisky, I've inserted the link.


A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 5

Ausnahmsweise, wie üblich (Consistently inconsistent)

I understand! I'm from Rutland.
Awu.


A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 6

Natalie

At least Rutland had its own television channel Awu! Apart from its status as the smallest county in England.


A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 7

Jimi X

Nice.

I caught myself laughing a couple of times - esp. the cul-de-sac reference. smiley - smiley

Get yourself a smiley - stout out of petty cash!

- X


A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 8

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Here's a link to Mike Harding (I used to see him at my local folk club before he got famous and I've been thinking for ages of doing an entry on him) http://www.mikeharding.co.uk/.

It might also be worth mentioning Cumbria Crystal, who I think make the most beautiful glasses in the world - they're nearby, I understand.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 9

Captain Kebab

This is smiley - cool - I like it.

I once spent a night in Barrow. I was spending 3 days travelling up and down the Cumbrian Coast railway line, checking passenger loadings on the trains. I went to the Tourist Information Office on Wednesday morning to try and book a room that night. The only room available was in the honeymoon suite in a fairly substantial hotel (whose name I forget) near the station. So Barrow is clearly more popular then you imply! smiley - winkeye

By the way, the cafe at Barrow station does a fine sausage, egg and chips. Well, it's a attraction.


A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 10

Woodpigeon

Great article, Natalie. I was in Cumbria for the first time last autumn, and, despite the big ugly nuclear power station dominating the landscape up t' road at Seascale, it was a delightful place to visit. I missed Barrow by a few miles (sorry), as we were staying in Eskdale and we had to turn off at Ulverton and drive impossibly steep mountain roads to get to our destination. I do remember a preponderance of wind turbines around South Cumbria though (it made my 2 year old son think he was in Tellytubbie Land). Still, other than that, it was beautiful there, a lot like Ireland. I think the region does have some real charming features about it, so don't be coy on talking it up a bit.

Anyway, a few comments -

>> In a pre-Cold War climate the town could enjoy low unemployment and annual performances from politically-earnest pop stars campaigning against nuclear warheads,

? Pre-cold war popstars complaining about nuclear warheads?

>> cynical attempt to cash in on the town's Native American heritage

Sound interesting. Is that sarcasm, or is there a story here? If so, what is the story?

I love the bit about the natural history of the place, by the way.

Well done.

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 11

Natalie

Thanks very much everyone - I can't believe how much everyone knows!

Thanks to Jimi, you h2g2 legend you!

And Zarquon - I've fit that Mike Harding link in and a reference to Cumbria Crystal - thanks!

Captain Kebab - I'll try and sample the fried breakfast next time I'm in Barrow station (have you seen the mural in Barrow station? I think they change it now and again, but the walls above the ticket office were once home to a series of rugby players with the most spectacularly badly-painted faces this side of the late Barbara Cartland).

Hello Woodpigeon! Thanks for pointing out the Cold War thing. I suppose pre-Cold War popstars would be people like George Formby! I of course meant pre-end-of-Cold War! Elvis Costello would turn up every now and again to perform 'Shipbuilding' - which I've always found an incredibly poignant and moving song - however, its subtleties were somewhat lost on the burly shipwrights who didn't find the choice between assembling nuclear subs or a life of abject poverty too difficult to make. (The song explores that of course - but now that the the bulk of the people have been made unemployed I doubt very many of them are 'diving for pearls'). Anyway, I've altered that bit now - cheers!

And I'm afraid you're right - the Native American thing was a bit of sarcasm - in the early nineties a number of British rugby league clubs inexplicably decided that the only way to revive crowds at their grounds was to rename the teams so that they sounded more like American Football teams (a sport that the public has generally resisted, despite repeated attempts to foist it on us)...I mean, London Broncos, for heaven's sake!

Natalie


A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 12

Jimi X

smiley - cheers

I reckon this means we can keep you! smiley - winkeye

- X


A710128 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Post 13

Natalie

I do hope you will! smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more