A Conversation for A (very) brief history of Ireland

like it, like it a lot....

Post 1

DogManStar

There seems to be more Guide entries pertaining to Ireland than just about anything else. Amazingly, none of them outline the history of the place.

It touches on some pretty complex and emotive issues that can often muddy writing on this subject and deals with them efficiently.

Incindentally, the phrase 'fight like cats in a basket' is really funny and I've stolen it.

Into the Guide with it, I say!


like it, like it a lot....

Post 2

Woodpigeon

Thanks a lot DMS! It has been through the mill in Peer Review, and I'm quite happy with it. It has also given me a few thoughts on follow up articles!

Woodpigeon


like it, like it a lot....

Post 3

The Moderately Strange Cornice

I like it because it presents quite a balanced view - too often, such articles slate the British, and make me feel guilty for being British (even though none of Ireland's troubles have anything to do with me). Yours is different - well done! I no longer feel ashamed of my British nationality.


like it, like it a lot....

Post 4

DogManStar

Yes, that's what I liked about it.

I am English and am rather tired of having to apologise for simply being born as such. This article addressed a complex issue in a balanced and sober way, acknowledging controversial issues without immersing the reader in them.

Again, well done!


like it, like it a lot....

Post 5

DogManStar

Good news Woodpidgeon - the powers that be accepted my recommendation and this is going to be in the Guide! Hoorah!

It's with the Sub Editors now.


like it, like it a lot....

Post 6

Woodpigeon

smiley - wow Great news! Thank you very much! smiley - blush


like it, like it a lot....

Post 7

The Moderately Strange Cornice

Perhaps it can also be expanded at a later date - having visited Ireland quite recently, I was amazed at what Ireland has to offer outside of the period of British occupation. I was especially impressed by such sites as Ceide Fields and your various abbeys and churches (Baile in Tobair (I think - my Gaelic isn't too good), Mayo (in Balla) and the like). I found all of this immensely fascinating, and would love to see an article on it (perhaps I might even write one myself).


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more