A Conversation for H2G2 - Dramatic Society

Stomp

Post 1

Researcher 179388

We went to see Stomp last night and it was excellent:

Stomp was created in Brighton (UK) in 1991, by Luke Cresswell and Steve Nicholson and premiered at the Edinburgh Festival in the same year.

Cresswell and Nicholson first worked together, from 1981, in the street band, Pookiesnackenburger and Cliffhanger, a theatre group.

It was a commercial for Heiniken Lager entitled 'Bins' that was the genesis of Stomp.

With a cast of eight creating an extraordinary performance of 'percussion, rhythym and comedy' to use their own description, it was a great evening's entertainment suitable for all the family, perhaps excluding very young children as the sound level can be rather deafening during some of the drumming sequences.

From matchboxes to kitchen sinks, including sink plungers, the cast created music with a huge selection of items. They were even able to make broom handles ring like bells.

What surprised me most was the amount of comedy in a show where barely a word is spoken.

If this show is coming anywhere near you during the current tour, then make every effort to see it!



Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more