A Conversation for h2g2 Picture Library

Two Libraries

Post 1

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

There are two h2g2 picture libraries, C809 - which you can't post to but which has a search facility on it - and this one A692741 which has no search facility but does have a link to the Community Art Library <./>Community-Art</.>. You can also post to A692741 - which is what I'm doing now.

I find lots of things about this confusing. For example, if I'm on a page called 'h2g2 Picture Library' (C809) I don't really expect to find a link to the 'h2g2 Picture Library'. It seems a bit recursive (in the programming sense) and makes me wonder whether I'm in an old, defunct version. However, if I go to A692741 I get an apparently newer page (according to the date on it) but it looks to contain less stuff (although that could be because it's differently arranged).

I went to C809 in the first place to find the link to the Community Art Library but it wasn't there. So from that point of view A692741 is more useful. But neither of the h2g2 Picture Libraries is one of the <./>NamedEntries</.> whereas <./>Community-Art</.> is a named entry. Why don't we have one entry called Picture-Library? Or at least one entry called C809 with A692741 reduced to a page where people can leave library messages but with the current list of links reduced to two: C809 and Community-Art?


Two Libraries

Post 2

Mina

Hi Amy,

The picture library does have a name - <./>GuideML-PictureLibrary</.>. I missed it too when I looked for it on the <./>NamedEntries</.> page when it first arrived.

The category system is something that we want to have a look at, but it's such a big job that it's not planned for anytime soon. Queries such as yours will then be addressed.
I can't fix individual problems as they come up, as it's possible that the whole system could come crashing down. And then I'd be in trouble. smiley - yikes


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more