A Conversation for Newton, Isaac (1642–1727)

A683129 - Newton, Isaac (1642–1727)

Post 21

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

so do I smiley - erm

The layout would benefit from some ... tags around the paragraphs.


A683129 - Newton, Isaac (1642–1727)

Post 22

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

This is the germ of a good article, but his mathematical achievements deserve more than a single paragraph. He invented the Differential Calculus, which is one of the greatest achievements ever.
There's also nothing about his pivotal experiment which showed that white light was composed of all the colours of the rainbow.
The article needs a lot more detail before it can be considered for the Edited Guide.

FM


A683129 - Newton, Isaac (1642–1727)

Post 23

xyroth

yes, he did invent the calculus, and so did leibnitz, but they both kept quiet about it until at some point leibnitz started to get some hints that newton also had some of it, at which point leibnitz published.

they both held back mathematics for a number of years due to secrecy, and the resultant fuss caused a split between britich and continental mathematicians for over a century.


A683129 - Newton, Isaac (1642–1727)

Post 24

Gnomon - time to move on

I think this article needs a good bit more to show Newton's standing the Mathematical and Scientific worlds. His invention of the Differential Calculus puts as one of the greatest Mathematicians ever. His description of the universe in terms of his laws of mechanics (the three laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation) was the definitive view of the world for hundreds of years and was unchallenged until Einstein said his bit.


A683129 - Newton, Isaac (1642–1727)

Post 25

fords - number 1 all over heaven

It's got the potential to be a great article - what you have for content is good, but I'm with the thought that what would make it better is a bit of fleshing out. smiley - smiley I'm especially interested in the whole apple story - I didn't do physics at school and have never really learned the full story, other than that when the apple fell on his head he wondered why. And the rest, as they say, is history.


A683129 - Newton, Isaac (1642–1727)

Post 26

The Anonymous Researcher

Can someone please move this into the Flea Market. I don't know how to, but someone once did iot for me with a different entry.

Thanks,

THE AUTHOR


A683129 - Newton, Isaac (1642–1727)

Post 27

the Shee

Although you want this entry moved, I've written my comments up already and would please like to post them for whoever takes this from the Flea Market... Alright? smiley - smiley

~~~~~~~~~

Why was Newton's childhood unhappy? Just because he didn't have a father, or did his mum or his mum's boyfriend beat him, or what?

What kind of important work did he do? Quick examples, I know you explain more a bit later. But something that you don't mention later, that you can include there. For instance, developing his calculus.

Was he knighted for his achievements?

Could you perhaps put each of the achievements into separate paragraphs and elaborate enough to fill the paragraphs with a bit more info?

What did he do with his mathematical interest?

Why did his friend Edmond Halley finance his book? (this may be a bit more difficult question)

Sorry, I'm American -- I realise that the Whigs are a political party (duh), but what exactly do they stand for? At the least, are they right-ish, left-ish, somewhere-in-the-middle-ish? Do they still exist? This probably warrants a footnote, not an addition in the body of the entry, but I would be interested to know. What are their most famous politics (there were some of them in America during the war... I can't even remember which side they were for. Probably England, eh? smiley - winkeye)? When did they have a lot of power, when did they have none? (General questions; don't feel like you have to answer them all -- just the ones with interesting or informative answers.)

gravity -- A565832
Newton's laws of motion -- A121041
telescopes -- A397316
planets and solar system -- A79508
the moon -- A399909
standard model of physics -- A666173
more basic physics, perhaps a better link -- A260506
light and optical science -- A666128


A683129 - Newton, Isaac (1642–1727)

Post 28

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Have you any intention of finishing this article and putting it back into Peer Review? Reason I ask is that I've just linked into it from my article on 'The Camera Obscura', specifically because of the falling apple anecdote. Is there any possibility of you expanding this section pdq?

Also, I agree with all the comments written above. This is an article that needs to be written, and written well.

i would offer to help you but I've got 6 of my own articles in preparation at the moment, all submitted for PR (and you know what that means!) and most of them have spawned additional ideas.smiley - cheerssmiley - biggrinBIGAL


A683129 - Newton, Isaac (1642–1727)

Post 29

Gnomon - time to move on

The author has not been around since November 2003, so it is extremely unlikely that they are working on this.


A683129 - Newton, Isaac (1642–1727)

Post 30

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

smiley - oksmiley - ta Gnomon. Is there any possibility of getting it into the Flea Market then? I might try and pick it up myself at some stage.smiley - cheersBIGAL


Key: Complain about this post