Here are the answers to the excellent Comedy Quiz set by TIMELORD.
Winner of the Timelord nod of approval was Madent with a grand total of 37/45. A very credible score was achieved by Granny Weatherwax and a late entry by Polidari Wormwood showed a good grasp of parts 1, 3 and 4 but part 2 proved too difficult!
The following is a list of the funniest people in comedy. They all changed their names, however, before we got to know them. Under what name did they become famous?
- Bob Davis: Jasper Carrot
- James Marsh: Jimmy Jewel
- Robert Nankeville: Bobby Davro
- Alfred Hawthorne Hill: Benny Hill
- John Eric Bartholomew: Eric Morecambe
- Nathan Birnbaum: George Burns
- Benjamin Kubelsky: Jack Benny
- David Tynan O'Mahony: Dave Allen
- Lynne Shepherd: Marti Cain
- Charles Springall: Charlie Drake
The following list is of shows which were made in both the UK and USA but under different titles. The left-side is the name of the show in the UK, the right-side is the name of the show in the US. Fill in the blanks.
- The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin/Reggie
- Man About the House/Three's company
- Brighton Belles/ The Golden Girls
- Till Death Do Us Part/All in the family
- Two's company/ The Two of Us
- Steptoe and Son/Sanford and Son
- The Upper Hand/ Who's the Boss
- Birds of a Feather/Stand By Your Man
- Are You Being Served/ Beane's of Boston
- Rising Damp/27 Joy Street
The following is a list of catchphrases. Some are from shows and some are from comedians - identify their origin please.
- Naff off:
Ronnie Barker as Norman Stanley Fletcher in 'Porridge'
- Smoke me a kipper, I will be back for breakfast:
Craig Charles as (ACE)Rimmer in 'Red Dwarf'
- Magic are Maurice:
Bill Maynard as Selwyn Froggit in 'Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggit'
- Trust me I know what I'm doing:
David Rasche as Det Insp Sledge in 'Sledge Hammer'
- I'm listening:
Kelsey Grammer as Frasier Crane in 'Frasier'
- They don't like it up em:
Clive Dunn as Corporal Jones in 'Dad's Army'
- I'm free:
John Inman as Mr Humphries in 'Are You Being Served'
- And its good night from him:
Ronnie Barker in 'The Two Ronnies'
- Ooh you are awful, but I like you:
Dick Emery in 'The Dick Emery Show'
- Silly old moo:
Warren Mitchell as Alf Garnett in 'Till Death Us Do Part'
- Power to the people:
Robert Lindsay as Wolfie Smith in 'Citizen Smith'
- I'm too old for this shit:
Danny Glover as Det Sgt Roger Murtaugh in 'Lethal Weapon'
- My papie always told me:
James Garner as Bret Maverick in 'Maverick'
- Mum said on her death bed:
David Jason as Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter in 'Only Fools and Horses'
- I didn't get were you are today by...:
John Barron as C J (Charles Jefferson) in 'The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin'
- In which film is the main character called Mortimer Brewster?:
'Arsenic and Old Lace'
- Who played Flash Harry in the St Trinians films?:
- What film is Flubber a remake of?:
'The Absent Minded Professor'
- Under what name did Arthur Lucan make a series of films?:
'Old Mother Riley'
- What was the first Carry On film?:
'Carry On Sergeant'
- Who is/was the oldest actor to win an Oscar?:
George Burns for 'The Sunshine Boys'
- What kind of creature was Gizmo?:
- In which film did Alec Guinness play 8 characters all of whom died?:
'Kind Hearts and Coronets'
- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was a remake of which 1964 film?:
- Who said at the oscars 'Medals are like haemorrhoids sooner or later every a******e gets one'?:
Billy Wilder for 'The Apartment'.