A Conversation for Project: Evolution and Creation

Timeline

Post 1

Ste

So then, what's everyone elses progress on their repsective entries?

When can we get this project up and running and on the fron tpage do you think? What sort of time are we looking at?

smiley - smiley

Stesmiley - stout no, smiley - tea


Timeline

Post 2

Hoovooloo

Personally, I'm looking at doing some work on this this weekend. Probably best to see where we are after that - I want to write a rebuttal of Josh's Creationism article, something about the Creationism paradigm, and a piece about the tension between the scientific and religious mindset. So that should be three from me, plus and overarching introduction entry with links to everything and explanations of what and why. So four. Or more. Possibly. Anyway. That's my timescale. Anyone else?

H.


Timeline

Post 3

spook

If you want I could try to look into writing an Entry on believing in both evolution and creation.

spooksmiley - aliensmile


Timeline

Post 4

Ste

Are we talking about believing literally in genesis and evolution at once? Or more the non-fundamentalist view?

Thanks for posting smiley - biggrin

Stesmiley - stout


Timeline

Post 5

spook

Literally believing in both at once.

spooksmiley - aliensmile


Timeline

Post 6

Ste

smiley - wow

Oh! really? I didn't think that was possible! smiley - winkeyesmiley - biggrin

Yeah, I'd say go for it. We never expected this viewpoint. I'd make sure with Hoovooloo first, it's his pet project afterall. Even though he doesn't seem to be about much recently (*hint*) smiley - winkeye

So then, how does one believe in a literal interpretation of genesis and evolution at the same time? I'm fascinated.

smiley - ok

Stesmiley - stout


Timeline

Post 7

spook

It's mainly about how you view Genesis. The world was made in 6 days, but we don't know how long each day was, and genesis would have been written for people in olden days to understand, labelling each time period as a day. There are lots of things, really. When I've written the entry I'll give you the link.

spooksmiley - aliensmile


Timeline

Post 8

Ste

Before you get writing, see if anything conflicts with an entry myself and my father-in-law (a priest) is writing.

It is in detailed note form at the moment at A699573 - "Creationism - The Mainstream Christian Viewpoint"

Tell me what you think smiley - smiley

Stesmiley - stout


Timeline

Post 9

spook

It looks like a good entry. The only way it might conflict is where it says Creationism and Evolutionism are incompatible. However, the entry is the mainstream Christian View, my Christian view is nowhere near mainstream.

spooksmiley - aliensmile


Timeline

Post 10

Ste

The title is very non-permanent, I'm not sure i like the current one.

You'll have to check with Hoovooloo on whether he wants to include such an entry first, but I personally would like to see it included.

smiley - biggrin

Stesmiley - stout


Timeline

Post 11

Ste

Remember, my entry says: "The doctrine of creation and the scientific theory of creation are not incompatible but creationism and evolutionism are."

smiley - smiley


Timeline

Post 12

spook

I personally think that creationism and evolutionism are compatible, depending on how you view each one.

spooksmiley - aliensmile


Timeline

Post 13

Ste

Go on then, give me a quick summary smiley - biggrin

Please

Stesmiley - tea


Timeline

Post 14

spook

My personal view is that Creationism and Evolutionism aren't opposites, but go hand in hand. Science is not opposite to God, but God created Science, and Science was God's tool in creating the universe. God created the tool, then used the tool to create the universe. Evolution has been proved impossible by Charles Darwin himself, as he said that if two things needed to evolve at the same time for the body to survive, then his theory would be incorrect. However, it is not impossible that God could control the path of evolution, and cause these things to evolve simultaneously. I also believe that God used Science and let there be Scientific explanations to things for a reason. That reason is that if the creation of universe and people was obviously the cause of a God, then people would have prove to believe in God, while God says that the only way to him is Faith.

That is a shortish summary of my believes on this subject (more or less).smiley - smiley

spooksmiley - aliensmile


Timeline

Post 15

Ste

Interesting smiley - biggrin, thanks.

One thing, how did Darwin disprove evolution? I don't quite understand that part...

Stesmiley - ale


Timeline

Post 16

spook

It's something he said about evolution. he said that if there was a case where 2 things would have to evolve simultaneous for us to survive, like parts of the blood, then his theory of evolution would be incorrect. Now, I think we know of about 17 cases of this in the body of this, but there maybe be more.

spooksmiley - aliensmile


Timeline

Post 17

Ste

I wouldn't be confident on saying that evolution is disproved because of a statement made 150 years ago, when evolution was not that well understood. After all, Darwin only came up with natural selection, he didn't even know genes existed. You might want to something more robust than this for an entry. Also, I'm not sure what context that statement was said in. Do you perhaps have a link so I could study it in further depth. You've piqued my interest, I've never heard this before about Darwin smiley - biggrin.

I've actually written an entry on evolution for this project: A673319 The Theory of Evolution. I've tried to explain evolution to the layman, it's quite long though.

smiley - cheers

Stesmiley - tea


Timeline

Post 18

spook

Prctically, what I know about evolution is what was told to me by a Christian Scientist Friend of mine. When I write the entry, I will put in wuite a bit of research into these things.

spooksmiley - aliensmile


Timeline

Post 19

Ste

What, like a scientist whose a Christian, or a Christian Scientist (two different things)? smiley - smiley.

I'm a biologist, and I've studied evolution a lot. I'm always welcoming when it comes to new perspectives on the subject.

Stesmiley - stout


Timeline

Post 20

spook

A Christian who used to be a Science Teacher, but is now going to Moorlands Bible College.

spooksmiley - aliensmile


Key: Complain about this post