A Conversation for Project: Evolution and Creation

Biblical Approach

Post 1

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

It's been 10 years since I was an active evangelical fundamentalist Christian, but I do remember my Bible. If Josh or another practising Christian isn't forthcoming with their side of the argument, I offer to represent the pure Biblical approach as best I can.

I'd be strictly second-best, but the offer's on the table.

Geoff


Biblical Approach

Post 2

Ste

Sounds good smiley - biggrin

Ste smiley - stout


Biblical Approach

Post 3

Hoovooloo

To me too - thanks Geoff. I'm sure we can find a title for you to write even if Josh does come through with something. The more the merrier, and I don't think I'd be sticking my neck out to say given the likely demographic of users of this site that good writers about religion are at more of a premium than good writers about science. So you're very welcome.

Please note that the idea of doing this as a Uni proj just flashed into my mind this evening, so it's not fleshed out yet. I'll ponder a bit and be back. I promise I'll have some structure or idea in place before I disappear at the end of the week...

H.


Biblical Approach

Post 4

Ste

So then Geoff,

What made you "convert" from your fundamentalism, and what do you consider yourself to be now?

Ste smiley - stout


Biblical Approach

Post 5

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

What "converted" me? Er... I spent 18 months watching a good friend die of Leukaemia. That shook my faith sufficiently for me to examine and then grow out of it.

Now..I'm a 7th day hedonist smiley - biggrin
You live, you eat, you s***, you f***, you die.

Er...
That's it.

Interestingly enough, that kind of viewpoint can have a serious effect on your morality, but that's a loooong story

smiley - ok


Biblical Approach

Post 6

Madent

It's worth noting that Genesis contains two different creation accounts, or at the very least one account that conflicts with itself.

Genesis chapter 1 to chapter 2 verse 3 is the well known 7 day account of the creation of the earth. Genesis chapter 2 verse 4 onwards is the less well known and much more detailed account of the creation of man.

The second account conflicts with the first by placing the creation of man ealier in the cycle and is much less prescriptive regarding time.

One theory that I can remember hearing, although I hasten to add I have no proof, was that the first account was written by a jewish poet and read in the temple over seven days to celebrate one festival or another, possibly Passover.

If read purely symbolically then the second account can be used to locate the Garden of Eden in Iraq (I think) and trace the movement of a people or tribe. There was a recent book about this, but I can't remember who wrote it.

The important thing though is that the second account, if taken symbolically, like other myths, is a fair historical record of the birth of civilisation in the Middle East.

I would suggest that this is brought out strongly in any review of Biblical creation, as there is less contention between the second account and scientific theories of evolution, the big bang, etc.

The Bible contains many areas of conflict and is itself an edited, abridged and overly interpreted document, hence my own disillusionment with the Christian church. However I do believe that as a historical record the early books are the only substantially reliable documents available from the pre-christian era.

Madent


Biblical Approach

Post 7

Geoff Taylor - Gullible Chump

I've heard of the book you're talking about, although I can't remember it either. I seem to vaguely remember that Eden was supposed to be located near to where the Euphrates river meets one of its tributories.

Hmm..."seem", "vaguely", "supposed" - I'm not very confident of this idea, am I? smiley - smiley


Biblical Approach

Post 8

Madent

I've just looked on Amazon.

David Rohl - Legend: The Genesis of Civilisation


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more