A Conversation for Babe Among The Stars: Fiery Tentacle

Catch it While You Can

Post 1

Deek

After an unprecedented period of low solar activity, it will be interesting to see if the Sun has a period of unparalleled higher activity in the coming months/years as it builds up to the maximum in the solar cycle. Or will there just be lower activity overall?

Mercury is always a difficult planet to see. But if you do want to try to spot it, it’s just below and right of Venus at the moment. It’s very low down near the horizon, but Venus is the best pointer to it. The conjunction will be at its best only during the first week of the month though.

Early April is also going to be the last chance to see Mars at its best. Now’s the time to take a look as it will get progressively less prominent, and next month it will be getting lost in the evening twilight.

Deke


Catch it While You Can

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - ok


Catch it While You Can

Post 3

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I watched Venus and Mercury together for about an hour last night, although Mercury was difficult to see by naked eye, in my binos it was quite bright. They appeared to be lined up, and were in the same field of view through my binos smiley - smiley


Catch it While You Can

Post 4

Deek

Mercury is always a difficult target being low down and in the twilight. Whenever I’ve caught it though, it has always taken some time to pinpoint, but when you’ve got it, its difficult to miss. I have read somewhere that less than 1% of people have ever seen it. I’ve only seen it on a handful of occasions myself.

Venus is fairly obvious and is a good pointer to it at the moment. Probably most people don’t recognise it though. Some even report it as a UFO. The Sky at Night did a grand tour of the planets last night which seemed quite comprehensive.

It’s mostly been too cloudy around my way to see anything at the moment. But I hope to get another view of the pair before it’s too late.
Deke


Catch it While You Can

Post 5

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I believe that's the first time I've seen Mercury naked eye, although I've seen it before in a telescope. I'm hopeful there'll be someone who took an image with their new-fangled equipment who will graciously upload or give it to APOD.

They were literally on the same line last night and it'll be interesting to see how much they've separated by tonight, (if the cloud liftssmiley - grr)


Catch it While You Can

Post 6

Deek

A few years ago I took a trip down to the west country and for an hour or while headed west was able to see Mercury on the horizon without any aid. It is quite easy to pick out if you know beforehand where to look.

Someone will almost certainly have taken a photo. Most likely it will be on about the 15/16th when a new moon gets in on the act as well.

Deke


Catch it While You Can

Post 7

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

http://www.twitpic.com/1d8ia9


Catch it While You Can

Post 8

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap100407.html

and I've just looked at 4 planets tonightsmiley - biggrin

Mercury, Venus, Mars and Saturn.

smiley - wow


Catch it While You Can

Post 9

Deek

I just got two of them, Venus and Mercury.

I'll try for the other two if it stays clear tonight.

Deke


Catch it While You Can

Post 10

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hope you managed it, it was fabulously clear heresmiley - wow
I'd been out filming the Politics Show which will be broadcast Sunday lunchtime if you get chance to catch it. I had a bit of a rant about people who do not vote.

Got up before the sun this morning and was rewarded by the smiley - crescentmoon and Jupiter, not far off. Had to stop looking though as the sun's up nowsmiley - cool


Catch it While You Can

Post 11

Deek

Yes, it stayed clear and I got a good view last night, about 9pm. I got the ‘scope out and despite the finder scope being out of alignment, I set it up for Mars which was at a neck breaking angle. A bit of a disappointment as it isn’t nearly as bright as before and no detail.

Saturn was a lot better. Despite its distance it still appears larger than Mars in the ‘scope. Because of their angle the rings are reduced to short ‘spikes’ sticking out either side at the moment. But I could make out what looked like the shadow of the rings on the planet. I could only see one moon, which I think was Titan.

It was worth doing though.
Deke


Catch it While You Can

Post 12

Deek

I'll set the video for the Politics Show if it's on in my neck of the woods.

smiley - smileyDeke


Catch it While You Can

Post 13

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I believe it's regional; but don't let that stop you tuning in smiley - smiley
A short clip was shown last night on the local news including my question about Humber Bridge tolls to the standing MP. I'm hoping the full programme shows my rant about people who do not vote.

I have done well this week with planet-spotting, Mercury & Venus early evening, Mars & Saturn at night and Jupiter in the morning.

smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Babe Among The Stars: Fiery Tentacle

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more