A Conversation for The h2g2 Doctor Who Group

Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 1

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Starts in a little under an hour, so figured it could probably do with it's own thread to discuss Matt Smith/Stephen Moffat initial outing.

smiley - tardis


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - lurk


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 3

kipperonthefloor - Make sense? What fun is there in Making sense?

Fan-Flipping Tastic!


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 4

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

Liked the new theme tune.smiley - tardis


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 5

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

I shall take some time to get used to it all.

I preferred the old them tune for a start - I dunno I always liked the horns - felt like a cavalry charge coming to the rescue or something... will get used to it eventually.

Definitely a getting-to-know-you episode.

I was a little disappointed that Amy Pond wasn't in fact police woman: in all the previews I sort of felt that gave her character some weight or gravitas.

Matt Smith being bonkers will also take so getting used to.

Nothing major to criticise that I can think of so a cautious 3/5


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 6

Mol - on the new tablet

I've just said how brilliant I thought it was over on the other thread, but actually you're right, not keen on the new theme - it's a bit disco, and I like orchestra.

Mol


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 7

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

I will have to rewatch to be sure but I've just realised that at no time during that episode did I feel the need to turn on the subtitles. Either Matt Smith doesn't mutter as much as David Tennant did, or there was less orchestra used throughout. Right then, that's my excuse for watching it again smiley - smileysmiley - tardis


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 8

kipperonthefloor - Make sense? What fun is there in Making sense?

Its on Ipalayer this instant


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 9

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Commendably speedy. They should have a word with the techs on the Who website. All the new content for April 3rd brings up 404 errors. smiley - winkeye


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 10

kipperonthefloor - Make sense? What fun is there in Making sense?

Not from my end
'Praps its your thingummy that's bust?


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 11

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey, they probably nipped back and fixed it while I was here complaining about it.


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 12

kipperonthefloor - Make sense? What fun is there in Making sense?

Did you mean that galleries?
They aren't working


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 13

Alfster

For my main comments see mine on the Points of View message board.

For the geeks here: the ice-cream man was Perry Benson who played the young valet in 'You Rang M'lord'.

Not sure about the one subtext that Amy is not long for being married...all too soap opera.

I just have a feeling the suits at the BBC are enforcing certain things onto it to make the people who liked the soap opera RTD steuff keep on with watching.


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 14

Alfster

Oh, and where is Matt Smiths picture on the h2g2 Doctor WHo group home page?


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 15

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

(Thanks for telling me it's on Iplayer) - I've listened back and forth to the opening credits a few times now.

Things I like:

smiley - bluelight That the credits start off dark, with just the flashing blue light and interior light through the windows for illumination - before before breaking into the clouded/lightning effect

smiley - bluelight The theremin and violins still give me shivers.

smiley - bluelight There are horns after all , they occur as the tunnel dips into the golden glow effect as Karen Gillan's name flies off, but they are softer, less abrasive than before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02hh8_HAGyk&feature=related

Compare the title of old and the horns are brash and blaring in the 10 to 13 second mark; I think that's why it felt more like a charge - they were signalling the rest of the theme coming in, here it seems more background, almost as an afterthought.

Silly thing to obsess over right? But I was looking forward to seeing the new theme so it sort of stuck in my mind that it was missing.


smiley - bluelight The kind of sexy way the DW rotates into the tardis and flies off.


Things which leave me a bit cold:


smiley - yuk - the choral chanting.

smiley - yuk - cloud/lighting. again can;t make my mind up , not an instant dislike but I sort of liked the old vortex, with less defined 'edges'; it felt out-side of time, clouds/lighting feels a bit atmospheric. smiley - erm


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 16

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Actually I take that back - there's trumpets and horns all over the front end of it, I was listening so intently for the single blasts I failed to notice the main intro is....what trumpets, french horns maybe (?) well brass sounding at any rate. smiley - doh


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 17

Bright Blue Shorts

Don't like the new music ...

Do like the new titles - probably because it reminded me of the early Tom Baker titles in that strange silvery tunnel ...

New logo ... not fussed either way.


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 18

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

This thread or the other thread? I'll go with this one as its specifically about the 11th Doctor.

I quite enjoyed it. The first half was great but it tailed off a bit toward the end.

* The theme tune is gradually losing any hint of the throbbing, brooding otherworldliness it once had. The bombast was just about working up to Series 10 but I think it's gone too far and is now a bunch of overblown stuff with the Dr Who theme buried somewhere underneath it. Where was the 'Duuung-*-de-doong-*-de-dung-*-de-doong-*-de-dung-*-de-doong-*-de-dung-*-de-dungitty'?

* I can see what they were trying to do with the TARDIS interior but I think they've failed. Nice overall shape but the detail comes across very kids' TV.

* Rubbish CGI snake thing. Occasionally I think they should go back to men in costumes. Or hand puppets. Maybe draw things on paper and move the mouths, Pugwash stylee.

* The hologram bit at the end with Earth's history and the Doctors and stuff. Eh? Where did it come from? Could the Doctor and chums see it or was it just there for our benefit? If they *could* see it, why could they see it? Was it a projection? Why would the Life Of Brian eye-on-a-stick thingies do that? Oddness.

It was mostly good though. Good Doctor, good assistant, funny bits, creepy bits. Not bad.


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 19

Mol - on the new tablet

Feedback from 7 year old son (not immediately available as he rushed upstairs to change into a shirt and three draped ties as soon as it finished): "Matt Smith is waaaaay better than David Tennant"

When I rather indignantly asked why, this is apparently because he is "loads funnier".

And also, according to my 13 year old daughter, "well cute".

smiley - rolleyes

The eye through the crack in the wall was VERY scarey. Both children edged away from the screen, and towards me, at that point.

smiley - biggrin

Mol


Dr Who: New Series, New Doctor

Post 20

Bright Blue Shorts

My 8-year-old daughter was quite scared by it, and this is the child who blasely announced most of the previous seasons as "not scary". Moffat knows how to do scary very well!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more