A Conversation for Is it True Love? I Say YES!

Love: in good times and in bad

Post 1

Josh, Mighty Keeper of the Towels

Dear Casey,

Your story was quite touching, and a bit comforting for some of us. Love is a very hard thing to find. And once you find it, it can often times be very hard to hold onto.
In my own case, I met her at a Writer's Conference. I didn't think much about it, and I'm sure she didn't either, but we were (at least slightly) mutually attracted. I was just barely over the shock of a sudden breakup (with a girl I had grown up with and thought I knew so well), and she was on the verge of ending her own problematic relationship. Naturally, after the conference (which only lasted three days), we began to keep in touch.
At first it was just the occasional letter. Then, gradually, we began calling each other. Eventually, it came down to almost daily calls, and our phone bills soared. But so did our hearts. We had so much in common, it was incredible. I didn't feel the need to act around her (you know, the mask that one must put on for the world), and I truly began to think that I was in love with her.
But she was still in her relationship. That posed a problem, of course, since I didn't really want to break in on someone else's find. But this guy was trouble, and in the end he was partly the cause of what has been my personal hell for the last four months.
I saw her once more during this last summer, and that was at a church camp, which lasted five days. Shortly afterwards, something of a tragedy occurred.
Her boyfriend, a troublesome fellow with whom she should have never associated, was getting her into trouble. Legal trouble, trouble with her parents, etc... Granted, a big portion of it was her fault as well. But this guy just needed to be locked up. At one point, her parents, in a final effort to separate them forever, placed her in a boarding school, and withheld all information about her from everyone, including her very dear friend (me), who had no intentions of ever doing anything to break her parents' trust anyway. Finally, I recieved a letter from her, begging me to write. It was postmarked in Maine! (I live in Oklahoma) I immediately set out writing letters, but for some reason none of them was answered.
For four long, agonizing months, I tried. But nothing came back. Then, my letters, one by one, came back, marked refused. I was incredulous, and frantic. I finally resorted to calling her parents, and asking just what was going on, and why all of this was happening.
The news was not pleasant. She had been moved to another, more permanent boarding school, and this time there would be no leak of information from her. I was not to know where she was until her parents felt that it was safe for her (meanwhile, the boyfriend had, in his despair, taken up using drugs again, and had been placed in a rehab center). Now, I could write letters that would get to her, but her parents would read every one, and send them on from there.
It was a shaky situation, but I agreed (what else could I do?). I wrote her again, this time pleading with her to write me. She did, and for the first time in four months, as I opened up the letter, I felt truly happy.
Now we are writing somewhat regularly, and every day the feelings I have for her grow. I have not talked to her in nearly five months, and so the proposition of our reuniting in person has us both extremely excited. This week, I might get a phone call from her (something I haven't had in months either), and I haven't the slightest clue what my first words to her will be. It's exhilirating, and scary all at the same time. What would you do?

Signed,
The Phantomwriter


Love: in good times and in bad

Post 2

Casey *Go ECU Pirates :o) * Keeper of Love, Guardian Angel

Wow, that's a touching story. I'm glad that you're sticking through it for her. It's so sweet! I agree with you, I wouldn't know what to say!! It's always hard to figure out what to say, but when the call comes, I'm sure you'll find the right words. I can tell that you really care for her. I wish I could find a guy that would care for me that much, that no matter what happens, they would make the best of it. That's what makes my situation so crazy. I don't know what's going on where he is, and we've decided not to have anything really serious right now since we haven't seen each other in so long...and I'm so scared that something will come up and we won't keep in touch. Relationships (and friendships) are complicated things...which is something I have definately learned lately. So, good luck with the girl of your dreams! And like I said, I'm sure the right words will come to you when you guys get to talk again!


Love: in good times and in bad

Post 3

Josh, Mighty Keeper of the Towels

Dear Casey,

Thank you for replying. It's a fortunate thing when someone out there understands what you're going through, and sympathizes. So often, I run into what has become the stereotype for Oklahoma: people who are ignorant and proud of it. These people don't care about anything except the weekend, and nobody but themselves. It's frustrating, and I think that I'm going to move away soon.
Anyway, I'm rambling. I can tell by the way you're skipping lines, just picking out the key words. lol
Well, I certainly hope that your man comes home, and I admire him for what he is doing. I was not even 18 yet when this war began, and now that I am, I don't know if or when duty will call. But if it does, I intend to be ready for it. If you talk to him soon, tell him that you met someone on the internet who admires what he's doing.
As for the phone call: I am waiting with bated breath. Today could be the day, and I am determined to be ready for it. If it doesn't happen...well...I have braced myself for that as well.
With hopes and prayers for our/your troop(s),
The Phantom Writer


Love: in good times and in bad

Post 4

Casey *Go ECU Pirates :o) * Keeper of Love, Guardian Angel

Hey, no, I didn't skim through and just read highlights of your post...I actually read it all. I admire you so much for your courage to stick through it all for her. As for me and my guy, we'll see how things go...only time will tell where things will end up, but right now I'm just keeping him in my thoughts and praying for him to get back home safely. I guess that's the scariest part!! I doubt you'd have to worry about going anywhere though...you know...if duty calls.

So, did you get the call yet?? smiley - hug


Love: in good times and in bad

Post 5

Josh, Mighty Keeper of the Towels

Dear Casey,

Friday night, around 8:00 PM, I was taking my plate into the kitchen to be washed, when the phone rang. As I understood it, it was far too late for her to be calling, so I picked up the phone, expecting a friend or someone else, anyone but her!
For days, I had been planning exactly what I was going to say, but when her voice broke through, asking to speak to Josh, all I could manage to say was "speaking". Immediately, she began crying. It was so sweet. We were able to talk for 30 to 45 minutes, and in the end we shared our mutual feelings for one another, with hopes that we will soon meet again. (When that happens, even I'm gonna cry!)

Sincerely Jaded,
Josh, the Phantom Writer


Love: in good times and in bad

Post 6

Casey *Go ECU Pirates :o) * Keeper of Love, Guardian Angel

Aww!! That is so sweet. I'm so happy for you guys! Hopefully you will be able to see each other before too long!! Gosh, that is just great! smiley - smileysmiley - hug


Key: Complain about this post