The A to Z of Dreams and Nightmares

6 Conversations

The right side of the bed and the wrong side of the bedDreams and nightmares, we all have them from time to time, but who has wondered what they mean, below I will give you a few interpretations of some dreams that we may have.

Accident
Dreams of accident could mean something of the unexpected may be about to happen within our lives. We are usually receiving a warning of highlighting anxieties to do with safety or carelessness. It may be that we need to be aware of a lack of forethought in other people.

Bailiff
The bailiff in dreams signifies retribution or Karma (Karma being of if you do something good you receive something good and vice versa) of some kind. When a bailiff appears in our dream we doubt our own ability to manage our resources and are perhaps accepting that we need to be more accountable for our actions especially to figures of authority. We have put ourselves at risk and have not fulfilled our obligations. We could be "punished" by material loss and loss of status.

Cave
A cave represents a doorway into the unconscious. While initially the cave may be frightening, an exploration or journey can reveal strong contact with our own inner selves. Passing through the cave signifies a change of state, and a deeper understanding of our own negative impulses, therefore if we pass through to the other side we will achieve our goals.

A GraveyardDeath
Death is a transition from and awareness of the gross physical to the more spiritual side of one's nature. To dream of death, particularly one's own, usually heralds some major change in life, the death of an old outdated way of being, necessitating a move into the unknown. Dreams of death often occur during those periods in life which were formerly handled by ceremonies and rites of passage, such as puberty to adulthood, maturity to old age. Many women dream of death during menopause, and this is thought to be because the role of mother is dying away, and the woman must re-evaluate her life. Because in the past death held great dread, it also depicted catastrophe, in the sense that nothing would ever be the same again. Depending on one's belief, and whether one believed in life after death it was something that had to be experienced and faced up to rather than understood. Dreaming of death therefore often became a symbol for birth, and new beginings, as a way of coping with it. In these present times, as people's attitudes change, death in a dream indicates a challenge which must be confronted
Evil
A sense of evil occurring in a dream usually suggests that there is something which is misplaced, corrupt or wrong. Evil usually brings with it a sense of dread and fear, foreboding or disgust, particularly if it is accompanied by inapproppiate action from other people. To experience evil in a dream is usuall to be concious of our own urges, which we have judged to be wrong.
Fire
Fire in a dream can suggest passion and desire in its more positive sense, and frustration, anger, resentment and destruction in its more negative. It will depend on whether the fire is controlled or otherwise as to the exact interpretation. To be more conscious of the flame of the fire would be to be aware of the energy and strength that is created. Being aware of the heat of a fire is to be aware of someone else's strong feelings. Phychologically, fire often appears in dreams as a symbol of cleansing and purification. Sometimes fire indicates the need to use our sexual power to good effect. To dream of being burnt alive may express our fears of a new relationship or phase of life. We may also be conscious of the fact that we could suffer for our beliefs.

Duvets in all sorts of lovely coloursGhost
When we dream of the dead they usually appear as quite substantial figures,(in human form) so it is unlikely that dreaming of a ghost actually represents a spirit entity. It is much more likely to signify old memories, feelings, or hopes and dreams, which may be somewhat insubstancial. By putting ourselves in touch with what is now defunct we can take appropriate action in the here and now. Oddly, ghosts in dreams can also suggest perhaps previous incarnations or spiritual states. The shadowy figure so often perceived in dreams is a representation of the Shadow - those parts of ourselves that we have suppressed.
Home
The home, and particularly the parental home, can stand for shelter, warmth and nourishment. To dream of being at home signifies a return to the standards we learnt as a child. The home can also represent sanctuary, that is a place where we can be ourselves without fear of reprisal, and to be safe without the fear of others around us.
Invisible
If we are invisible in a dream, then it could mean that there is something we want to put behind us and forget. If something is invisible, then we just need to recognise the presence of something without having to look at it too closely to begin with.
AurorasJailer
Seeing a jailer in a dream can suggest a sense of ristriction either by some part of out personality or by some other force from the outside. There could be a period of loneliness or a sense of being trapped in an ongoing situation. The spiritual side of ourselves may give us the ability to break free of a given situation.

Kissing
Kissing someone in a dream may suggest acceptence, respect or approval within our lives. Kissing someone we do not like suggests we have to come to terms with qualities within ourselves that we dislike in others. Someone kissing you on the forehead suggests lack of sexual involvement but more of a blessing.
Letter
A letter is some sort of communication, whether it be an official letter or bill of some sort or even a love letter. Receiving an official letter can suggest some sort of action that we are about to take, where as a love letter suggests how much that we are aware of how people around us care for us. Sending a letter is our way of communicating with who ever or what ever is going on in our lives at the present time.
Black CatsMedal
As humans we appreciate feeling good about ourselves. Being awarded a medal in a dream could represent our abilities or achievements, and serves as a constant reminder of what we have done.
New Year
To dream of the New Year represents a fresh start, or of something new in our lives. It maybe that we are leaving the past behind and coming into a new cycle of our life.
Orphan
When we dream of being an orphan, it could symbolise that we feel that we have been deserted, vulnerable and/or unloved. However if we have a sense of being orphaned it could represent a time for us to stand on out own two feet and be more responsible, in the other sense if we are caring for an orphan we could be trying to repair the feeling of being deserted, vulnerable and/or unloved.
A man carrying a child wrapped in a blanketPath
When we dream of being on a path or near a path it signifies the direction in which we are to take. This may represent paths in relationships, career etc. Identifing whether the path is smooth or rocky, winding or straight, will have bearing on your course of action.
Quilt
Dreaming of a quilt (or duvet) symbolises our needs for love, warmth and security. Seeing a special quilt ie one from childhood could signify a need for reassurance.
Rose
To dream of a rose represents love, admiration and perfection. It can also represent fertility and virginity. As the rose goes through its cycle of life and decay so it represents our own life cycle. It also represents the heart-centre of life.
A bridge over a riverSchool
When we dream of schools or a place of learning, this could signify that we are coming into a new learning chapter of our lives. Maybe we have started to learn new skills or abilities. We could also be learning about people or relationships within our lives. Alternatively we could be attempting to rid our lives of old ideas and concepts.
Treasure
Dreaming of treasure represents things we value. Often something we've acheived through our own hard work. Finding treasure represents that we have an understanding that we have to get through our limitations before we find what we are looking for.
Unemployment
If we are dreaming of unemployment we are feeling that we are not doing the best we can at what ever we are trying to achieve, we feel that we aren't being recognised. We could be feeling inadequate, which is a fear that most of us fear.
A teddy bear dressed as a priestVow
A vow represents an agreement between two people, God or yourself. When we dream of making a vow we want to be recognised as a responsible person and our own lives. It is an insight into the way we want to be.
Wheel
When we dream of a wheel this could represent The Wheel Of Life the cycle of grow and decay of life. We may need to make changes and move foward in our lives. When we lose motivation in ourselves we could dream of losing a wheel.
X
Dreaming of the letter X we are usually Marking the Spot. It also represents an error or something we need to make a note of. If a cross is in the shape of the letter X, this may represent an idea of sacrifice or maybe torture. The letter X also signifies Man within the Cosmos.
Snake and rabbit and a sign saying 'family reunion'Yawn
In the animal kingdom a yawn is a warning against aggression, and a yawn withing a dream could be a way of controlling our own or maybe another's agressive or abusive behaviour.
Zoo
When we dream of a zoo this suggests that we need to understand our natural urges and instincts. The could be the urge or instinct to return to a more natural life and basic types of behaviour.
Well thats it the A to Z of some of the dreams that we may have. There are a lot more interpretations for various types of dreams we may have. If you have a certain dream you would like interpreting please discuss this with me I will gladly help any way I can. I hope you have enjoyed your read through this alphabet of dreams.
A green dragonBlessings smiley - angelKitten smiley - hug

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A650468

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more