A Conversation for Afula, Israel

A642809-Afula, Israel

Post 1

Ioreth (on hiatus)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A642809

A snappy little piece on a pretty remote town you'll never, ever visit. Doesn't that make reading the who's and where's of the place a bit more interesting? smiley - smiley

-io-


A642809-Afula, Israel

Post 2

Jimi X

What a fine and fun entry. You're right, I wouldn't go near the place in 100 years - but I still liked reading about it.

The first-person 'tell them I say hi' made me smile. I'd say remove it, but it was too cute. I hope it survives editing!

My only concern is calling it a 'town'. Being a hick from southcentral Pennsylvania, the term 'town' to me generally means something a bit smaller than 150,000 people - that's more like a city to me.

Anyone disagree?

Like I said, this was a fun little yarn. (to paraphrase the great Looneytunes) And well worthy of inclusion at the earliest possible moment! smiley - ok

- Jimi X


A642809-Afula, Israel

Post 3

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

yepp, I second that! smiley - ok


A642809-Afula, Israel

Post 4

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I like this too. I found the footnotes especially helpful.smiley - smiley

At one point the entry is in the first person. smiley - ermIs that allowed?

You might add something in about how to get there and where to stay?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


Thread Moved

Post 5

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'Afula, Israel'.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Thread Moved

Post 6

Whisky

....

No you haven't been forgotten about. Now hurry up and get the smiley - bubbly out. I'm getting thirsty....

Congratulations
smiley - cheers whisky


Thread Moved

Post 7

Ioreth (on hiatus)

Why thank you smiley - smiley

*pops a cork*

free drinks!!! smiley - smiley

*takes a big old gulp*


A642809-Afula, Israel

Post 8

kastlem

I live in New York, my son in Israel, I'm a Brit by birth so I'm familiar with some cultural differences there. I enjoyed the piece about Afula after my son described a visit he had made there with his girlfriend. You are right, in the States, a town would be much smaller, Afula would be considered a city. But as I grew up in the UK, I was not given the same understanding, that it was necessarily size that made a city. In Britain for example, a town stays a town no matter how big if it does not have a Cathedral. Even a small place is a city then, if it has a Cathedral. So its really just a cultural thing, a quirk if you will! You are certainly right for the American culture, but the author of the piece is right for the purposes of the culture in which Afula sits. Have a great day, be blessed!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Afula, Israel

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more