A Conversation for jens PfP links

"Afghan Disaster" article on zmag for better perspective

Post 1

Deidzoeb

There's a great article on zmag titled "To punish innocent Afghans
would be immoral" (though it can be found from their main page on a link labeled "Buckley: Afghan Disaster").

In it, Chris Buckley, Christian Aid Programme Officer for Afghanistan, explains about the 3 year long drought that has been going on in Afghanistan. It appears that even without any military strikes, these people are already starving. According to the World Food Programme (run by the UN), 5.5 million people there will be entirely dependent on food aid to survive this winter - that's a quarter of the Afghan population.

That seems like a compelling statistic to mention to people who think anything good can come of this war. Maybe if we can help people understand what Afghanistan is really like, they won't succumb to the stereotypes, and they might wake up to the real humans who will be victims of yet another unjust American war.


Key: Complain about this post

"Afghan Disaster" article on zmag for better perspective

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more