A Conversation for Rock Climbing

UK Climbing

Post 1

Borroff

You can of course climb in the UK if Vancouver is deemed too far for a weekend!

Harrison's and Bowles Rocks in Kent are always good for a giggle as many of the routes are graded two grades below their actual difficulty. This is due to the soft sandstone which chips, breaks and rounds itself such that the route YOU are climbing bares no resemblance to the one that was graded several years earlier.

Lead Climbing is slightly mad, particularly on Limestone which breaks far more readily than the protection used in it... I know and it hurt!

Solo Climbing, or climbing without a rope, is best done only after mastering the art of missing the ground. This is where a friend can come in handy as they can divert your attention for that vital moment allowing you to forget to hit the ground. However if you have a friend available... use a rope dummy!


Key: Complain about this post

UK Climbing

More Conversations for Rock Climbing

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more