Rock Climbing

2 Conversations

The object of this rather bizarre pastime is to get as far from your proper place on the ground as is possible. In order to rock climb it's necessary you are next to a rock face; you also must have a [friend/enemy/acquaintance] with you to belay (he's the guy who will keep you from hitting the ground if you happen to take a flight). While this sport is very fun, it's also incredibly dangerous.


The DANGERS

1) Falling: This phenomenon occurs when you let go of the rock and gravity takes hold. One of the few experiences which comes close to drinking a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.


2) Falling a lot: This happens when you: A) are a really, really bad rock climber, B) when you climb routes that have "SLIPPERY WHEN WET" signs plastered all over them (and it's wet out), or C) your belayer tugs on your rope. Typically ann of the above are signs that you either need to stop climbing or need a new belayer.


3) Having Someone Fall on You: This usually happens when your fellow climber belongs to the "Really Really Bad Rock Climber" category. In the event that you are belaying a climber who weighs over 200 kg and looks like they will be falling soon, get the hell out! If you do weigh over 200 kg, erase all previous thoughts about your becoming a champion rock climber. For one thing, you weigh too much. For another, it doesn't pay too well.


WHERE to GO

There are a lot of places in the U.S. to rock climb. To the best of our knowledge, all of them are in mountain ranges (unless they're in gyms, which don't count) and all of them take a little while to get to. Some popular places to rock climb are:

Squamish, British Columbia, Canada
This little town about two hours north of Vancouver, B.C. boasts some of the best climbing in the Northwest. Hundreds of faces dot the hills, and the town is dominated by the famous 'Chief'. The Chief is a rock that rises about 200 m into the air, towering above Squamish. You can climb, hike, or, if you feel particularly boring when you visit, drive to the top.

Smith Rock, Oregon, U.S.
Smith Rock is an incredibly popular climbing heaven. It's slabs are revered throughout the Northwest.

STAY TUNED for future sites!


So...Climb on, and remember:

DON'T PANIC

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A62362

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more