A Conversation for Photographic lenses

A623477 - Photographic lenses

Post 1

Judiciary Pag, LIVR, KoTLBST, GSC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A525502

There's not much about photography on the Guide - but this tells a little about the rather wide-ranging subject...

Have a goosey.


smiley - earth Judiciary Pag, LIVR smiley - aliensmile


A623477 - Photographic lenses

Post 2

xyroth

shouldn't that link to http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A623477 rahter than toth entry on word gymnastics?


A623477 - Photographic lenses

Post 3

xyroth

one thing you don't mention is that if you take a lens/body combination for 35mm and try and use it for ccd, the lens works all wrong. I am not sure why.


A623477 - Photographic lenses

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

This is a good entry. I know a good bit about photography, so I had no problem understanding it. I'm not sure how a complete beginner would see it.

One point: a fish-eye lens is called that because a fish's view of the world above the water is compressed by the surface of the water into a circle directly above the fish. All 180 degrees of the above-water view are distorted into this much smaller circle. Outside the circle, the water's surface acts a 100% reflective mirror showing only the underwater world.


A623477 - Photographic lenses

Post 5

il viaggiatore

Well done. I don't think a non-photographic type person would have too much trouble with it as the author takes time to explain related matters as he progresses. This should have no trouble making it into the edited guide


A623477 - Photographic lenses

Post 6

Judiciary Pag, LIVR, KoTLBST, GSC

Can't believe I posted the wrong URL smiley - erm - it is indeed http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A623477 ...

Memo to self: Don't open three or four Internet Explorer windows and try to be clever next time smiley - smiley...

Anyway, I've addressed the CCD thing for those curious about that sort of thing, but I've left the fisheye thing almost as it was, coz I've seen both definitions stated in reasonably reliable places - which one is right is a matter of "I'm right and you're wrong" or vice versa, so I'll just leave it - not too important, anyway!!

As for beginners - I think they'd get it... Any beginners out there to tell me if I'm wrong? Please?

Could this be my first edited entry smiley - smiley ?


smiley - aliensmile Judiciary Pag, LIVR smiley - earth


A623477 - Photographic lenses

Post 7

Judiciary Pag, LIVR, KoTLBST, GSC

Just added a slight update about rules of thumb to keep the article ticking over. It's very nice...you might like it.


A623477 - Photographic lenses

Post 8

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

yepp, won't fail to get into the Guide smiley - smiley

I know now that Gnomon doesn't like the idea, and I just want you to consider making this entry part of the h2g2 University Project 'Photography', at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A544367. The project has been running now for some time and may take some more weeks (I'm not familiar with the details of it) but projects are an alternative way to get entries into the Edited guide. Given the fact that there are >160 entries in Peer Review, with 25 drawn out at random every week (and roughly 25 inserted from the other side), the PR route is more like a lottery when it comes to time scales, that is, the waiting time can also amount to months before an entry is finally recommended.


A623477 - Photographic lenses

Post 9

Judiciary Pag, LIVR, KoTLBST, GSC

Yeah, I noticed his project the day after I wrot ethis and submitted some stuff to his conversations...ta..!

smiley - winkeye

smiley - aliensmile Judiciary Pag, LIVR smiley - earth


Thread Moved

Post 10

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'Photographic lenses'.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Cool!

Post 11

Judiciary Pag, LIVR, KoTLBST, GSC

Cool, huh? smiley - winkeye

Judiciary Pag, LIVR, KoTLBST, GSC


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Photographic lenses

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more