A Conversation for The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

I don't get it

Post 1

maduin

*\start-rant*
I just didn't get the book when I read it. Your review kind of made sense, but the book itself just annoyed me. If it's aim is to document the oppression of women, why did Atwood have to construct such a stupid, ridiculous world to set the story in. If it's about the human character, I just didn't really get the protagonist person; she seemed too clever and made loads of intelligent observations that were just blatantly Atwood's voice. I mean why was it made so unpleasant and painful to read when it doesn't appear to be actually making any constructive moral statement, or powerful depiction of the human condition at all?
*\end-rant*


I don't get it

Post 2

Sho - employed again!

I think it would have been more powerful (for me) if there hadn't been all those flashbacks to her daughter.

Maybe it's that I've gone all soft since I became a mum myself, but that became the main focus of my reading (only been through it once so far) and I lost some of the other detail because of it.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more