A Conversation for Cornwall

Eclipse

Post 1

Global Village Idiot

The other miraculous thing about the temporary darkness is that the entire population of the UK is cramming into 4 fields belonging to Farmer Penburthy, when the whole thing is visible (and the skies are more likely to be clear) in a strip 50 miles wide running from Brittany to Bulgaria - and beyond that to countries you might be less keen to visit, like Iran and Iraq.

At the risk of appearing smug, (no, the hell with it, I AM smug), I've booked a week in Austria at NO SUPPLEMENT WHATSOEVER and am roughly 25% more likely to have clear skies. Oh, and I don't have to sit for 17 hours on the A30 either.


Eclipse

Post 2

Paulus

Yes, forget Cornwall, I'm off to Paris for the eclipse!
Great food, wine, art... shame about the toilets...


Eclipse

Post 3

Global Village Idiot

Great idea - I assume you know you have to head North out of the city to get on the path of totality smiley - smiley

If anyone else out there wants to know where else they can see the eclipse (for example, Strasbourg and Munich are two great cities to visit and are right on the path), check out:
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/vs76/about.htm


Eclipse

Post 4

Moose (Researcher 32986)

Hmm.. yes... that's right ... everyone go off to other parts of the world to see the eclipse. That way I won't have to reschedule my usual surfing trip to Cornwall to avoid traffic jams and overpopulated beaches.


Eclipse

Post 5

DrSo|oMan

Not forgetting the horribly inbred locals.


Eclipse

Post 6

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

I'm trying to get back into Cornwall 4 days before the eclipse. How mad. smiley - smiley Apparently we have a police escort. As if. But I wouldn't go anywhere else to see it. At least if I stay at home and it is cloudy I can still go surfing.
P.S. I am not inbred. I was born up country


Eclipse

Post 7

solice

neither am i and i wan't


Eclipse parking/camping

Post 8

Schmorgas

As one of the several thousand share holders in the Cornish Stanneries Tin Mines, let me take this opportunity to assure you all, that although £50 per hour car parking, and £100 per night per tent may seem a tad excessive, it isn't. You see, I bought my share in good faith. Secure in the knowledge, that as a tin miner, I would not have to pay any new taxes, ie Poll Tax. Since Mrs Thatcher took umbridge at this, I had to pay anyway. So now is the moment, now is the hour, now is the time I get back my £3.50.

Oh revenge is a sweet sweet thing.

Or at least it would be if I didn't live in Yorkshire.


Eclipse/Paulus

Post 9

Schmorgas

I could not agree more about Paris.
If it's cloudy, you have the Art, Gastronomy and architecture. Whereas in Cornwall you have....well, you have Pasties.
Nuff said

See you on the train to Noyons perhaps.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more