A Conversation for The Dutch Researchers Club

Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 1

Alfredo


I've asked for technical feedback at Jim, at the Feedback forum, because of the fact, that since a few weeks, opening the pages at H2G2 is EXTREMELY slow. Sometimes it takes two minutes or even more, to open a page.

He gave me some reply, but it isn't very satisfying.

And because I live in Holland, I'd like to ckeck this with fellow Dutch people.

What is your experience with the speed of H2G2 in the last month?

Your experience might be relevant for the problem.

It's not a very exiting question, but that's because of the nature of the problem.

And last but not least; A Happy New Year to all of you and let's hope we'll get more sun and less rain.

Greatings from Amsterdam


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 2

Alfredo


As you see, my topic has been posted twice, instead of once.
It all happened in the fight against slowness..

If you might react to my question, please take the other - same topic - here, otherwise it's getting confusing.

P.S.
And I dó have the right settings at Internet Explorer ; Automatisch controleren op nieuwe pagina's.


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 3

Post Team

Hi Alfred - and all the best for 2003 to you too. smiley - smiley

Indeed, the last month I have also had trouble connecting with all BBC sites and especially h2g2. smiley - sadface

Here we have two computers hooked up 24/7 via Casema and where it was once an extremely fast and efficient internet service it now loads pages at a snails pace. This seems to be the case for just about all UK sites, but especially any run by the BBC. Sites based here in Holland and the US are as fast as ever. I'm convinced that there must be some sort of bottleneck between Holland and the UK - but I'm not a technical bod! I'll ask around the others and get back to you.

We have a Danish h2g2er staying with us for the New Year and he has also commented on how slow h2g2 is being. It really is a nuisance and has kept me from visiting quite as much as I would normally. Running <./>ThePost</.> again next Wednesday is going to be a nightmare if this state of affairs continues. smiley - blue

This was the first page I managed to load today (good subject matter!smiley - laugh), so I'll read your other comment and come back here to reply when/if I can. smiley - ok

shazz smiley - thepostsmiley - snowballsmiley - hollysmiley - kisssmiley - mistletoesmiley - xmastreesmiley - discosmiley - fairysmiley - xmaspudsmiley - crackersmiley - snowmansmiley - santasmiley - snowball


Checking trouble with the Dutch....

Post 4

Alfredo


Thanks for your reply.
I won't use smileys, 'cause it takes ages to get them (if you don't have them in mind, as I do).

But you might get a líttle help, if you read the postings at the óther same posting "checking trouble with the Dutch".

Because another browser can be a real help ánd in that OPERA 6.05 browser you can actually séé how the speed changes from véry slow to normal.

I hope "The Opera" will bring back my love for this British H2G2, because in my opinion, it is a really unique website of great quality.



Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more