A Conversation for The Alternative Writing Workshop

A87745549 - Hamish McManeish

Post 1

GregPius

Entry: Hamish McManeish - A87745549
Author: GregPius - U13648184

This story is largely true and Hamish is a legand in his own right.


A87745549 - Hamish McManeish

Post 2

minorvogonpoet

The central story of this - the man who can win any woman he likes, except the one he really loves - has lots of potential. smiley - smiley It could be humorous or serious, or have aspects of both.

The question whether any child is 'bad from the beginning' is a huge one - probably best left to psychologists and psychiatrists to fight over.

I think that, if you were writing this up into scenes, you could concentrate on Hamish's philandering. Don't pursue the story of his son, because that gets confusing. And the character of the Latin American woman who rejects Hamish would need to be strongly established.

As usual, it needs lots of work! smiley - groan


A87745549 - Hamish McManeish

Post 3

GregPius

Yeah you are right. This is actually about a true personality but I only knew him second hand. For about two years, unfortunately during his return from South america, I was away on business myself and only caught up years after it all happened. I do remember a story about Hamish getting lost when he was a young teenager. His whole adopted family searched for him and he was eventually found by the original patriarch. He was also famous for hating to take baths. Hamish could do many tricks to amuse and entertain. Strangely enough he was short and not that handsome but overloaded with charm. I did not get any more details on his South American trip, the family closed ranks and only let out the bare facts. As for the son, he was virtually abandoned by the family and they never spoke about him once he was gone. I don't know how evil he really was, but I did spend an eleven hour car trip with him once when he was very young. My lasting impression was that he was scared. Unfortunately for him, he had little charm and just seemed to make things worse by being a coward. One story about him did filter back because it involved the police. The son was charged with petty theft. Aparently he stole a pair of high fashion shoes. When he was caught out, instead of returning the shoes, he took a knife to one of them and cut it to pieces. The shoes were very expensive and the owner insisted on the police laying charges so that an insurance claim could be made for their replacement. And another strange story filtered back about the son worrying cattle. When questioned by the owner of the cattle in question,he stated that they were only dumb animals and it was funny to tease them. Weird!
It still amazes me that someone should love him and defend him. It seemed to me that he had no redeeming characteristics. He was no athlete and struck one as being very lazy. I have no idea how he got on with the opposite sex. His father wanted to have nothing to do with him and basically pretended he did not exist. Like father like son there. That is all I know and the family now consider any questions about Hamish to be an intrusion into their privacy. i do seem to remember that Hamish hated clocks and restraints of any form. He was your atypical free spirit. Hope that helps anyone who wants to use this for a story. All I have written is a matter of public record as far as local knowledge can ever be recorded. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more