A Conversation for Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK

Doon the toon!

Post 1

Leeloo

Thanks for getting my hometown put on the h2g2 map.

I think you'll find that you spell Bigg Market with 2 g's. I'll assume that some damn fool editor made that mistake and not you.

Anyway, having lived in Newcastle for most of my days, I was wondering how the hell I had missed the possibility of us having a Grassmarket. Where is/was this situated and is/was it a haven for the purchase of combustable illegal substances as the name suggests?

More information please ... smiley - bigeyes


Doon the toon!

Post 2

Vhurry

Doesn't Newcastle have ale? I heard it rotted the guts but then I am from down South so maybe I do not have the right constitution.....?


Doon the toon!

Post 3

archer

the local ale is newcastle brown ale other names for it arwe newkie broon or dog as in the fact that you'll need the hair of the dog the next morning


Doon the toon!

Post 4

archer

the local ale is newcastle brown ale other names for it arwe newkie broon or dog as in the fact that you'll need the hair of the dog the next morning


Doon the toon!

Post 5

Stringer 43377

Ah, yes, Newkie Brown. I've been told that this is drunk far more by southerners wanting to appear hard than by genuine geordies, but I find this difficult to believe given the amount genuine geordies usually drink.

For an authentic 'Did you spill my pint?' incident, the pint in question should always be a pint of Newcastle Brown Ale.


Doon the toon!

Post 6

Grendel

I think you'll find Newcastle Brown doesn't come in 'pints', i.e. pint glasses, it comes in bottles. At least in the UK; apparently they sellit in the USA on draught. And it tastes like shite.


Doon the toon!

Post 7

The Magpie

From what I was told as a lad (which wasn't that long ago) Newkie Brown is called dog because blokes used to tell their wives that they were going out to "walk the dog" when they were going to the pub.....


Doon the toon!

Post 8

Stringer 43377

That is very true - I've always assumed that it was analagous to someone saying that they were going to 'Hoover the floor with a Dyson'.

I need hardly add that the fact that it's bloody hard to spill something in a bottle is irrelevent if you're trying to start a fight in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.


Doon the toon!

Post 9

Researcher 47724

The Grassmarket is near the Central station, I think, where that centre for life is now situated I could be wrong as I haven't been down that end of town for a very long time. In fact I haven't been home for a while. Ever since the demolished the Farmers on the Haymarket I've had to find elsewhere to drink.


Doon the toon!

Post 10

archer

I had a mate used to chew the top of the bottle gring the glass in his teeth and swallow it


Doon the toon!

Post 11

sanityclause

You didn't mention that Newcastle is famous for having a useless football team that gets huniliated at Wembley and most other grounds around the country....


Doon the toon!

Post 12

Leeloo

Ah, I see. I was right about the name connection after all. But silly you. If you liked the Farmers you would like the pubs around that area, The Forth, The Head of Steam, The Railway etc.

There are a few to avoid aswell but I'll not mention them! smiley - winkeye


Doon the toon!

Post 13

Grendel

What an extremely pointless post. Bugger off somewhere else to write unintelligent drivel like that.


Doon the toon!

Post 14

Huw-Newcastle

Not the famous Archer ex- of North Seaton?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more