Swing Dancing Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Swing Dancing

2 Conversations

Swing dancing is a phenomenon that developed in America from the late 1920s to the early 1950s.

The Basic Swing step, or a 6-count step, was developed in Harlem in the late 1920s and the Lindy Hop, or an 8-count step, was created, also in Harlem, in the mid 1930s. Whitey's Lindy Hoppers are credited with the creation of the dance and Frankie Manning, an original member of the Lindy Hoppers, taught the dance until just before his death in 2009.

While there has always been an underground swing scene in America, there has been a recent popular resurgence of both the dancing and the music over the past three to five years. This came about primarily due to the fact that a whole bunch of Generation X-ers got tired of sitting around on their collective buttocks wearing smelly ripped jeans. In addition, men got tired of looking like women and vice versa. Perfume ads frightened everyone as no one knew the actual gender of the person they happened to be attracted to.

Swing is an opportunity to dress with style, learn to behave in a social manner with others, and to move from beer into hard liquor, which, while more expensive, also gets the job done much more quickly and effectively. Swing dancing is something that happens naturally when a really good band begins to play. Said band undoubtedly possesses not just a vocalist, drum kit, and guitar; but a saxophone, a trumpet, a trombone, a stand-up bass, a piano, and any other instrument that is acoustic and not electric.

Once immersed fully into the swing scene, a person will improve his personal sense of self-worth and lot in life because swingers generally: drink more, are in better shape, have a better sense of rhythm, look classier, and get laid more often than the average member of the non-swinging population. One of the truest things an individual will ever learn is that the saying is 100% literal, 'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing'.

So smile, have a drink or two, and keep dancing.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A60391

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more