A Conversation for The Great h2g2 Luck Experiment

flawed study

Post 1

Muggsy

The one flaw in this study is the assumption that just because a person feels lucky or unlucky does not necessarily mean that they are or are not. After all, every gambler starts out feeling lucky, but the majority end up losing. If one's luck level (assuming that there is such a thing as luck) could be so easily guaged, then casinos would not be profitable businesses.


flawed study

Post 2

TDiD - Student of Luck/Fate

You are the first person who has managed to spot the underlying question of this study. While getting the answer right will show you being lucky, does feeling lucky itself mean that you are lucky? You may insantly dismiss this as common sense but then how come out of the 9 people who think they are unlucky, seven of them got it wrong on their first guess. If it was completely random you'd expect that number to be four or five surely. A study that confirms what you consider to be common sense holds as much merit as a study that blows away boundaries.

Well done for spotting the real question by the way!!!

P.S. Don't tell anyone else, lets let them find it by themselves!!

TDiD smiley - cheers


flawed study

Post 3

Muggsy

Okay.

Thanks for the reply. Don't worry. My lips are sealed.

Good luck on the study. smiley - scientist


flawed study

Post 4

TDiD - Student of Luck/Fate

Cheers,

Here's something I've noticed so far. It's probably coincidence though. Unlucky people get their first guess wrong more of the time than lucky people, but then get their second one right more often.

Weird, just weird.

I hope this cleans itself up so I don't wind up trying to explain THAT.

TDiD smiley - scientistsmiley - huh


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Great h2g2 Luck Experiment

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more