A Conversation for Talking Point: Technology that's Supposed to be Helpful... but Isn't

Windows

Post 1

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Especially Windows 98.


Windows

Post 2

It wasn't me

Windows telling you it was able to detect an unknow error. Very usefull to know this, I think my life will never be the same.


Windows

Post 3

Zak T Duck

The blue screen of death has to be the second most evil thing Micro$oft has ever come up with.

Although I've seen it so many times it's starting to grow on me.


There's one thing worse than Win98, and that's Milennium Edition. In essence it is a patch to Win98 that removes the minimal functionality it had in the firstplace (such as the last remaining elements of DOS)


Windows

Post 4

Pete (ACE)

WinME is pure s***e isnt it total b******s possibly the worse thing ever i would use Mac but the other ppl that use my machine are so computer illiterate they ibnsist on using windows


Windows

Post 5

Researcher 182562

The absolute most time-consuming pain in the a**e in all of Windows, is the conviction on the part of the WORD-meisters that they know how I want to format my text. It would be nice if I could CHOOSE to set for indenting, paragraphing, bullets, numbered items, etc. but the assumption they make that if I start a line with a 1), the next paragraph must be a 2) - hey maybe there are TWO paragraphs to the 1) point??? And so on. I spend more hours undoing their formatting than Balzac took writing his entire oeuvre.


Windows

Post 6

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

"You appear to be preparing to smash your computer to pieces with a hammer. Would you like me to help?"


Windows

Post 7

The Moderately Strange Cornice

I just bought a new PC with WinME installed. My previous PC used Win95, which was bad enough, but I have found that all of the aspects of Win95 that I liked (i.e. being able to switch to DOS when the windows started to frighten me off and the fact that it couldn't detect when you had performed an improper shutdown) have been taken away. Instead, I'm presented with a pathetic attempt to integrate my desktop and the internet and a system that crashes every day.

Oh, and I made the nistake of upgrading from a 14" to a 17" monitor. Now I have to put up with an even bigger version of the nightmare that is Windows.


Windows

Post 8

Cyberspook, Thingite Grand Inquisitor of Disgruntled Cat Toys and Lover of Small, Feline Acupuncturists

Then there's the complete inability of windows to recognize that IT MAY NOT BE THE ONLY OPERATING SYSTEM ON THE P.C.

It completely overwrites the MBR on install, Kills driver files like crazy, and has Zero tolerance for multiple boot systems.

Couldn't Microsquish and Internet Exploder show a little more tolerance for Linux, OS/2, etc


Windows

Post 9

Researcher 182598

My personal favourite is when you're trying to end a task and it tells you it can't end the task, what would you like to do and one of the options is "end task".


Windows

Post 10

Researcher 182598

My personal favourite is when you're trying to end a task and it tells you it can't end the task, what would you like to do and one of the options is "end task".


Windows

Post 11

Researcher 182598

I also like it when websites don't acknowledge you pressing the "post message" button so you ended up doing it twice and looking like a div.


Windows

Post 12

Cyberspook, Thingite Grand Inquisitor of Disgruntled Cat Toys and Lover of Small, Feline Acupuncturists

There's also the issue of windows trying to camoflage itself with user-friendly help, introduction, etc, etc, etc. whereupon it therefore proceeds to completely discombobulate pathetic ol' grandma w/ general protection fault crud


Windows

Post 13

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

It's Grandma's fault for performing all those illegal operations. I've a good mind to call the police!


Windows

Post 14

It wasn't me

So if we just push the grandma out of the windows, preferably from somewhere around the 24th floor, then it would be all okay?
I'm afraid we never will have a windows OS without stupid errors, 'cos those stupid errors seems to be the things that make it tick.
Funny though how they now start using version numbers. It started with one-two-three-eleven, then the suggestion there would be a new version each year popped up with versions 95 and 98, which proves they couldn't do it that fast. So instead of each year we now will get a new version each new millenium... then we'll better start liking ME, or start using the alternatives on a big scale.


Windows

Post 15

Researcher 190175

Unkown to many IT professionals & novice users alile, the Micro$oft corperation sneeked out the beta version of their latest incarnation of Windows - Windows RG.
Only advertised in the personal colums on the back page of Fungi & Flora monthly, with a personal endosment from Brian Cant (former children TV presenter). Ladies & gents hold on to your pants.....

http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/


Windows

Post 16

Franacropan

smiley - laugh


Windows

Post 17

Old Grey Wolf - the wolfman's older brother

In a world without fences and walls - who needs Gates and Windows?


Windows

Post 18

Tam

I had to reformat my HD (don't ask why!) and, after installing Win 98 SE, had to spend two hours convincing it that I had a modem.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more