Talking Point: Technology that's Supposed to be Helpful... but Isn't

62 Conversations

Confusing technology.

Technology will set us free... or it will if you believe the hype. Back in the early days of science fiction we were being promised that in the next century - this one - robots that would be helping us around the house, regular flights would be taking off for holidays in the lunar colonies, and disease would be an interesting footnote to the previous century.

Things haven't quite worked out that way, as anyone who has witnessed their computer collapse into a blue screen of death1 will confirm, but we've still seen some amazing things - the Internet, vaccines and decaffeinated coffee, to name but three.

But what about the inventions that don't quite make it? The applications of technology that, no matter how glossy the sales talk, simply boggle the mind with their stupidity? Douglas Adams' books are full of wonderful ideas that turned out to be infuriating - ship computers with personality defects, depressed androids, drinks machines that couldn't produce drinkable drinks, and anything else invented by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation - but real life is full of them too.

So join in the conversation below and tell the world about inventions that were supposed to be useful, but which frankly turned out to be totally useless. Perhaps they'll finally manage to provide an important function - to make us all laugh! smiley - biggrin

1Or an irritating black bomb, a totally frozen mouse pointer, an incomprehensible error number, or any of the other surprisingly inventive ways computer designers have come up with for saying 'our product isn't quite finished yet'.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A602209

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more