A Conversation for Devon, England, UK

Devon Defined and a start of some numbers

Post 1

C Hawke

Ok, couldn't resist starting this before work -

"Devon Defined

Devon as a single political entity ceased to exist in 1996 when the county that most people recognise as Devon has Plymouth and Torbay split from it to form Unitary Authorities.

However , most people still think of Devon as the that area that borders Cornwall on one side and Somerset and Dorset on the other.

Therefore Devon is made up of 8 Local Authorities ( East Devon, Exeter, Mid Devon, North Devon South Hams Teignbridge, Torridge, West Devon) and the two unitary authourities of Plymouth and Torbay (Local gov reoganisation explained http://www.statistics.gov.uk/geography/local_gov.asp) – this will be the definition of Devon used here.

The latest population estimates (Mid Year Population Estimates 2004 - http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/Product.asp?vlnk=14084&image.x=19&image.y=8&image=View) estimate Devon’s population as 1,102,000."



CHawke


Devon Defined and a start of some numbers

Post 2

Skankyrich [?]

This is great, C, but we already have an outline of geographical Devon. This is the 'definition' of Devon the Eds are after; not one drawn on political lines.

However, feel free to have a free reign on the political situation here. Most of this section is usable; though I'd have to remove suggestions that this is a strict definition of Devon to avoid confusion smiley - smiley

More recent population estimates are fantastic smiley - ok. I used the old versions to make particular points - Devon is very rural (each person has 1.33 hectares each outside the the three urban hotspots), fairly poor economically (20% less income than the rest of the UK). If you can make the statistics *say* something to the average reader, that would be ideal.

Thanks for your work; I'll wait for you to get back before I include anything smiley - ok

smiley - cider


Devon Defined and a start of some numbers

Post 3

C Hawke

yep, I was going to get on to the rural/urban breakdown later today.

CHawke


Key: Complain about this post

Devon Defined and a start of some numbers

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more