A Conversation for Project: Card Games

I volunteer!

Post 1

GTBacchus

I would like to contribute a couple of entries to this project. The following seem important:

War - This astoundingly boring card game is the parent of Egyptian War (by any other name...) It's so boring that the fact that anyone plays it merits some attention. The rules are simple and I can write the entry right now.

Mao - This is sort of like Mau-Mau, and I'm sure that one gave rise to the other, but it is VERY different. Mao is a metaphor for life in a totalitarian state. I'd say more here, but it's better I just write the entry.


I volunteer!

Post 2

GTBacchus

War - The Card Game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A630604

It's really more of a metaphor than a card game, and I've tried to emphasize that fact in the entry. I hope you like it.


I volunteer!

Post 3

Researcher PSG

Great, thanks.smiley - smiley
You will note it has gone straight to the project page and doesn't have the under development label. I look forward to seeing the other entry.smiley - smiley

Researcher PSG

p.s. I particularly like the double meanings and the link to pacifism entry.smiley - smiley


I volunteer!

Post 4

GTBacchus

Hi PSG! smiley - smiley

I'm glad you like the War Entry. Thanks! It was fun to write, and it was one of those that just wrote itself really quickly. I guess I was inspired.

With the Mao entry, I'm being a bit slower. I finally have a URL for you, at least. I haven't actually written anything yet, but now that I've created the entry, I'm that much closer. Here's that URL:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A638426

Maybe you can list it as "under development" or something. I'll let you know when I make some progress. Meanwhile, take care!

smiley - cheers


I volunteer!

Post 5

Researcher PSG

Right, I have linked the page to the project with an under development label.

I look forward to the text to go with the title.smiley - smiley

Researcher PSG


I volunteer!

Post 6

GTBacchus

Oh dear, I've just found:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A402472

...an old entry on the Card Game Mao. The author seems to be familiar with more variations of the game than I had known about, and wrote his entry with a different style than that with which I had begun mine.

Now I am facing a crisis of conscience. Should I actually write down the rules? (I've got maybe a third of them down so far.) Part of the fun (in some versions) depends on the rules not being known to all players. On the other hand, a good set of rules could get someone started when they would otherwise have to find a group of players and learn them the hard way, which *does* build character. Arrrggh!

Anyway, I am going to suspend work on my entry until I've given it some thought, and maybe contacted the author of the older entry, if he's still active. Will he want to be included in the project? His entry is not yet edited.

Maybe his should be the general entry, and mine should be 'One Set Of Rules For Dictatorial Mao,' linked to from the general entry with the caveat that reading the entry is already a breach of the rules, according to some versions of the game.

I just thought I should let you know.

GTB


I volunteer!

Post 7

GTBacchus

hmmm... JonBob, the author in question, hasn't been active since July, 2000. I don't know how this should be handled. His entry is awfully good.


I volunteer!

Post 8

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

Ask Chris about it, and see if it can go ahead and be incorporated. Then the sub can fix up any minor problems that might exist.


I volunteer!

Post 9

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

BTW, do we know when this whole project will be complete?


I volunteer!

Post 10

GTBacchus

"Ask Chris about it, and see if it can go ahead and be incorporated."

Will do. I've decided that the old entry is better, and I'll either delete mine or seriously rework it, ala 'One Possible Set of Rules for Dictatorial Mao', with a link.

I'll email Chris right away.

smiley - cheers


I volunteer!

Post 11

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

Or you can merge the two articles. Take what the other person wrote, then add whatever you have, and then list both of you as authors.


I volunteer!

Post 12

Researcher PSG

Right, Hello!
I have been paying attention to this and I haven't only just seen it, honest.smiley - smiley

Well I agree with the advice to ask chris, and about when this project will be finished, I'm just waiting until all the entries I think I can get are in [I know this is arbitary, so I have set a final deadline of 2 weeks before christmas, ok?] as some people have offered, forgotten, been reminded recently and I'm giving them the opportunity to submit there entry.

Researcher PSG


I volunteer!

Post 13

GTBacchus

Ok, so I'll lift the text of the old, good Mao entry, add a few penniworth of my own, and have the whole thing ready at the new URL (mine) with double author credit over this weekend. How's that sound?

BTW, I wrote to Chris, but didn't hear back today. smiley - shrug I'll keep ya posted.

smiley - cheers


I volunteer!

Post 14

Researcher PSG

Hello!
Well if this persons work is good and relevant to the entry it would be a shame just to leave it out, and if you share credit with them I can't see there being a problem, especially if they have been inactive for a year.smiley - smiley

Researcher PSG


I volunteer!

Post 15

Researcher PSG

oh I've just thought, will I have to add there name to the researchers helping with the project list?

Researcher PSG


I volunteer!

Post 16

beeline

Hi folks,

Sorry I didn't get back yesterday - I was out of the office.

I think you've taken absolutely the right steps so far - if the author's not contactable, the least you can do is lift his/her material and give appropriate credit, which you are doing.

I'll send an email to JonBob and see if (s)he replies to that. I can't imagine anyone having problems with their work being included in a Project, but you never know. I'll keep you, er, posted!

smiley - cheers


I volunteer!

Post 17

beeline

Hi everyone,

Well, I've had a reply from JonBob, and he says "I'd be more than happy to have it included. This may just be the spark needed to get me active again... smiley - smiley"

Sounds good to me! smiley - cheers


I volunteer!

Post 18

GTBacchus

Cool! smiley - bigeyes I'll maybe leave a message at his personal space? Good thing I put off merging the entries until I heard whether he answered your email! (Ok, I admit, I procrastinated, but it looks great this time...)


I volunteer!

Post 19

GTBacchus

Ok, I left a message at his space, and no word so far, so I've begun splicing. I just copied his GML from a testpage into *my* entry, where it's sitting alongside what's left of my version. I'll be able to work them together now, make sure we share author credit, and let you know when I'm done!

GTB smiley - bigeyes


I volunteer!

Post 20

GTBacchus

Done splicing!


http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A638426


Enjoy! smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post