A Conversation for Australian and NZ Researchers

"Sorry" Day

Post 1

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Well, it's been a very emotional day - I've listened to ABC radio all day and found myself getting teary very often, all the way from hearing the actual Sorry speech to actually seeing the standing ovation on the news tonight.

smiley - wahsmiley - biggrin

Did anyone else get a heart flutter when they realised that the big "Sorry" took place at the opening of the 42nd Parliament?

Spooky .... but DNA would be pleased smiley - biggrin


"Sorry" Day

Post 2

Ivan the Terribly Average

Yes Feisor. smiley - biggrin Being a political junkie (occupational hazard) I couldn't help but notice that.

I watched the speech live, with about 200 others. Kevin did a good job. smiley - brave I did have to suppress a bit of a teary moment, I admit. Brendan, on the other hand, didn't seem to understand that there's a time and a place for all the extraneous twaddle that came out of the front of his head.

Wilson Tuckey and all his little friends need a slap. No change there.


"Sorry" Day

Post 3

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I just read the full transcript of the speech. If Kevin Rudd wrote that himself, then Australia is very fortunate to have him.

It's not often that things happen in the world that genuinely make me feel there is hope after all.

Well done smiley - applause


"Sorry" Day

Post 4

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Someone I know suggested that the speech had the cadences of Bob Ellis ... I don't know if that's true or not and I don't think it matters. Yesterday this country was a little more united and a little kinder - a big change from the divisiveness of the past years - I just hope that we can continue and convert it into something positive.

We may not be all "singing from the same hymn sheet" but at least we're getting closer.


"Sorry" Day

Post 5

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Hmmmm - just saw Mr Rudd on TV - he says that he wrote the speech himself after visiting with one of the Stolen Generation.

I hope that it's true - it sort of adds to the whole thing that it wasn't written for him smiley - biggrin


"Sorry" Day

Post 6

Ivan the Terribly Average

I'm prepared to believe the PM wrote the speech himself, with a degree of consultation on the formal apology. He looked like he had a ready familiarity with the material that only happens with something he's written himself - unless he's a top-rate actor. I think he used to be a speechwriter (among other things) for Wayne Goss so we probably shouldn't be surprised.

He's set a very high standard for himself now...


Key: Complain about this post