A Conversation for Intelligence and learning difficulties

A.D.H.D.

Post 1

Nemesis5

I am a single mother, with a child of almost 8. He was diagnosed with ADHD 18 months ago, after a number of years of behavioural difficulties. i.e. inability to concentrate, hyperactivity, impulsiveness etc.,

He is currently on medication, to manage his condition, which does help him at school, where he was labelled as thick, stupid, the naughty one, the one who's disruptive. Through no fault of his own, he fell behind at school.

I tried managing his diet, but the food they feed them at school doesn't help, mostly it is processed, with additives etc., At home his diet is under control, I cook fresh foods, meat, vegetables, fruits. The only processed food I allow my son are cereals.

Too many people assume that because his behaviour is somewhat challenging, that he is either thick, or that I have no control over him, because there are no outward appearances of his difficulties.

I found your article informative and very interesting, and I wanted to say thank you for highlighting the problems that children (and their parents) with difficulties face.


A.D.H.D.

Post 2

xyroth

The solution to having your son dietarily poisened in school is similar to what happens in any case of dietary intollerance. first, you work out exactly what the problem ingredients are, then you get your doctor's support, and then you get an agreement between you, your doctor, and your childs school to not give him any of the problem foods.

A good example to use to get the co-operation of the school is coeliac disease, where the sufferer is intollerant of the gluten in wheat. This is difficult to remove from the diet, but when it is, the sufferer has almost as few problems as anyone else. The same is true of any form of hyperactivity. A friend of mine has a daughter with hyperactivity, and although they couldn't get her special meals, or full info on the contents of the meals, they did get permission for her to take a packed lunch. This mainly resolved the problem, although sweets can still be difficult.

It should really be possible to get the headmaster to help, but some of them really don't want to put themselves out.

It should be possible to get your local education authority to help you get your child's school to stop giving him foods which make the problem worse.

As this is a recognised medical problem, and the teachers are in what is legally termed "loco parentis" (the parents place), it is quite possible that the school can be liable for any damage or injuries caused by or to your son.

note: I am not advising that you get legalistic, but in extreme circumstances, it can help.

definately talk to the headteacher about this, you might find that when you explain the problem, he turns out to be reasonable.

feel free to ask me for any further advice, either here, or via the email address on my user page.

ps let me know what happens.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more