A Conversation for Southeast US Researchers' Group Mark II

Alternative Southern History

Post 1

7rob7: Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)

I finally read a passing comment in a paper today that sought to remind us that we in the South were, in fact, invaded by foreign troops on our 'home soil' during the War Between the States. Little parallel can be drawn between then and now, but it's a bit of an intro into my question to the group.

I've always been a fan of 'Alternative History' fiction - a true blend of 'hard' research and soaring imagination. Being a Southerner, I have been drawn especially to alternative versions of the Civil War and its aftermath. I just discovered Harry Turtledove and his "Guns of the South", and am about to start his "How Few Remain."

My question is: do y'all have any recommendations along these lines? Not just Southern events, but alternative history in general. Might be fun to speculate here amongst ourselves, as well.

Just a thought. Thanks.

-7rob7


Alternative Southern History

Post 2

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

Harry Tutledove is probably the best. I've enjoyed reading his stuff for a long time. I've never read any of the books you're talking about. I did enjoy his Misplaced Legion series and a collection of his short stories. I think it was called Kalidescope.


Alternative Southern History

Post 3

7rob7: Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)

'Kalidescope' it is, but I haven't read that one. 'Guns of the South' was a Selection for both the Science Fiction and the Military Book Clubs (it says so here on the cover...) It speculates what could have happened if a group of white racists from 2014 went back in time and provided the Confederacy with unlimited AK-47's and ammo. The research is mind-boggling, and it's a good read, too. 'How Few Remain' is about events in the 1880's in a timeline in which the South 'legitimately' won the war. Evidently it's the first of a trilogy that will carry on through World War 1. I'm about halfway through it, and I recommend it. (Even peaceniks appreciate a skilled writer with a highly-developed imagination.) smiley - yikes

You might be interested in an anthology just out that Turtledove edited: 'The Best Alternate History Stories of the 20th Century' (Ballentine/Del Ray)... I know I'm looking forward to it.


Alternative Southern History

Post 4

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

He's good. My father has laso recomended the boook to me. Generally, I just read Jerry Pournelle books over and over again. Maybe a Robert Heinlein one now and again.

Harry Turtledove is quite good. He's a professional historian from what I recall, so his research should be top shelf.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more