A Conversation for Animal Intelligence

Intelligence of Animals and Humans

Post 1

TheGolem

While I found the information on this topic interesting, it was not that helpful, nor as detailed as I hoped it would be. I vaguely recall hearing or reading somewhere about the intelligence of canines at somewhere around two years old compared to a human baby but I think that might have been urban legend. I know there is something about fibers that human have between those nerves which help to carry information in our human little computer-brain..

I would like to put a more detailed and informed dissertation of this topic in my Wiki at http://g0lem.net/PhpWiki/ and invite submissions to me at [[email protected]] -- and I will continue to check back here also.

Hank Roth
http://pnews.org/smiley - magic


Intelligence of Animals and Humans

Post 2

xyroth

the more we learn about animal intelligence, the more it apears that there is nothing fundamentally unique about the aspects of human intelligence.

What does apear to be fairly unique is the way those aspects have been put together.

We have many more (and more complex) interconnections between the two halves of our brain, massively more cortex, are much more dependent on learned behaviour, with the benefits for training and flexibility which that gives, and something in the mix gives us much more complex capabilities for language.

because of the linguistic capabilities, we also have massively more capacity for learning from history, and the mistakes of others, rather than having to make them all ourselves.


Key: Complain about this post

Intelligence of Animals and Humans

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more