A Conversation for Talking Point: Computer Games

After 20 years of gaming

Post 1

Biocorp

Long time reader, first time repsponder. Hallo!
I've been playing games for 20 years, since christmas of '89, back on the old BBC Miro and Acorn Archimedes. They've certainly had a beneficial effect, growing up around a family computer every day led me to become a computer programmer. Our computers have brought us together, though. We spent many happy times in the wee hours of the night trying to get through one last level of the original Lemmings and we still talk about hardware issues, games we like and the old summers of Bomberman 3.
I've never been one to go for games that are educational, I don't like to mix work and leisure. If I wanted to learn something, I'd generally either look to the Internet or take a course. I love games as teaching tools, but only as part of a structured lesson plan.
Gaming's going to be a part of growing up, yeah, but then not every child will enjoy it. It's like anything else, football is probably a part of growing up even if you don't actively enjoy it.
Games that won't rot your brains? There's plenty of puzzle games out there, text adventures, point and click adventures... tons of games that require logic but not reflexes. I'm not big on brain training, though. It seems like they're designed to make you very good at memory exercises and basic arithmetic (which is admittedly handy, but I can't say that my brain feels any "fitter").
Violence isn't an issue for me. Realism is an issue, both in graphics and general tone. The hero can blow a man apart, see them scattered across a room but never even consider the consequences. But then, if a person is inspired to emulate the actions in their favourite game, I don't see why a particularly violent movie wouldn't have much the same effect (admittedly games can be more immersive and engaging).
Finally, should we embrace gaming as the original generation of gamers becomes middle aged? Sure, if that's what you want. If you can't stand the things then so be it, just so long as you're not spoiling anyone else's enjoyment of a hobby that you don't approve of.

Games can be a great thing for firing the imagination, making friends or just letting off some steam, it's just a matter of moderation and not taking the whole thing too seriously.

Sorry, that seems to have turned into a short essay.


After 20 years of gaming

Post 2

Steve K.

Well said. I've been playing computer games even longer, and I have greatly enjoyed most of them. I lean toward simulations (Flight Sim, Sim City, racing, even Grand Theft Auto for the amazing realism and scope). But I agree there's something for everyone - my wife is addicted to Katamari Damacy on the PS2, and really enjoyed "World of Goo" on the Wii. (I consider "consoles" computers.) The Wii is, IMHO, a particularly good example of "something for everyone". I've read it is being placed in retirement homes for nuns, a market somewhat overlooked I think.


Key: Complain about this post

After 20 years of gaming

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more