A Conversation for Project: Corsets

Vict Corsetry

Post 1

Researcher 192596

I'd love to write more, but surely the Victorian corset only stopped a Vict woman doing those things that Vict women did not do ?

A corset is restrictive by today's standards, it was "right and proper" by 19C standards?

Annie


Vict Corsetry

Post 2

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

oops... a year too late. smiley - blush faux pas... anyway:

I think they were more active than we like to imagine. There were special corsets for bicycle and horse-riding, maternity and exercise, for instance. I haven't come close enough to an actual period corset to judge how restrictive they are but modern ones aren't that different essentially, and even heavily-boned ones are comfortable. They don't stop you being active or even doing strenuous activities, you just have to move differently (the 'bunny-dip', for instance.) However it probably was 'right and proper' since they were more accustomed and adapted to wearing them, so did not view them as restrictive. However I would reckon that the many layers of extra underwear proved more of a hindrance than a corset.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more