A Conversation for Yikes - The Sequel

Communities in the Post : a "Yikes - The Sequel" perspective

Post 1

Terran

Hello Community!

I'm in the process of contacting groups which have a lot of active people in them, for the post - with the intention to create an article for it. Actually my ultimate goal is to have a mouth piece for those communities in the Post smiley - thepost and join the communities together, and so that they don't seem so isolated!

What I'd like to do is get the feelings and comments of people in the community. Not to limit, but to give a taste of what I'm after I'd ask the questions : What is it that makes this group great to you? What's happened lately that's made you want to post to the group? What made you join the group? Which people have affected you most in the group? Has it made your h2g2 experience different/better/sidewayswinkeye ? Or anything that you'd like to say about the group.

I'd also like to hear about any other groups or active forums you're involved in, and what you like about them?

Thanks for reading, and hope you find this useful smiley - ok


Communities in the Post : a "Yikes - The Sequel" perspective

Post 2

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

What is it that makes this group great to you?
The fact that everyone is willing to talk to you, whether you post once a week or ten times a day

What's happened lately that's made you want to post to the group?
Kind of easy for this group - we just got to 100k posts as far as i know the first thread to reach such heights smiley - smiley

What made you join the group?
I found it when i was searching around my ACE;s PS when i joined jsut a couple of months ago.
Which people have affected you most in the group?
Ohhh thats a hard one, theres more than a few - Bel probably wins the prize for most hints but then theres menthol, Gnomon ahhh so many people!

Has it made your h2g2 experience different/better/sidewayswinkeye ?
I would suspect that I may well have given up on h2g2 like most newbies if not for that thread, I certainly wouldnt have learn how to use GuideML in a few short days and it very quickly spread out the people I know on hootoo.


smiley - smiley Yikes! and now Yikes 2 !


Communities in the Post : a "Yikes - The Sequel" perspective

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

Oh, where to start?

I've recently joined the atelier, which is nice, but I still feel a little 'new' in there - although I've met quite a lot of the salonistas more than once.

But Yikes is 'home'.

It started out as an innocent journal entry, and soon developed to a meeting point for friends and soon-to-be friends. The original thread had subscribers all over hootoo, some dropped in every now and again, others just smiley - lurked.

It is really difficult to say what exactly makes yikes the place it is, as there are so many different factors.

We had small children it it before they fell foul of the BBC age ban, we have People from all corners of the globe in there, we can be serious or silly, whatever floats our boat at any given moment. We celebrate birthdays or guide entries on the FP, we sympathise if things go wrong or people fall ill - we're very good friends. The atmosphere is very friendly, there are no arguments, and everybody is welcome.

Has it made my h2g2 experience better/different?

Well, I may avoid certain areas on h2g2, but Yikes is a safe haven, whatever else happens, and it's been amazing to see friendships grow as well as the circle of friends.


Communities in the Post : another "Yikes - The Sequel" perspective

Post 4

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

Where else but on hootoo can you talk shop with real professionals, get info you´d have to google for, and have a friendly pull-my-other-leg-it-got-bells-on contest with selfsame specialists? Inviting them for your birthday party might be a problem, though - you might find out that, although they are right there when you need someone to share life´s little triumphs and agonies. in real life they live a few thousand miles away.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more