A Conversation for Talking Point: Exams

Revision Tips

Post 21

Mac (Keeper of indecision)

With all these college types,I think I should fly the flag for those just below that acedemic level.
Here in Ireland,we have a little thing called the LEAVING CERTIFICATE.
It's the exam you do for entry into college.nooo pressure.nope.10 days till it starts,and this is my tip:
Study for 30ish minutes,then take a 5 minute break-just get the head out of the books(eg,read a comic book).Then,switch subjects(we still have multiple subjects like german and geography,so not as much help to college people).repeat this process,swithching subjects every half hour or so.Keeps your mind interested.
It's what I do...


Revision Tips

Post 22

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I'me so, so glad I have no more exams; never, especially since I got locked into H2G2; there is no escape...


Revision Tips

Post 23

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

Grrrrrrrrrr...


Revision Tips

Post 24

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Ha ha ha!!!!
Well, I did have 3 two hour exams four weeks back, so its still pretty fresh in my mind; lack of sleep; gallons of coffee, no going out drinking; boardom; shakes cause too much caffine.. Can't say I miss it...


Revision Tips

Post 25

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

Oi! I've got four three-hour exams left and three two-hour ones!

Besides, I can't drink anyway, owing to my sad congenital defect.


Revision Tips

Post 26

Square_D

I have found doing lots of problems helps you get a hang on Programming subjects at University.

Also Get your hands on as many past exam papers as you can and work through them, but try not to dawdle. Keep track on how long it takes you. It's a good way of picking up areas you thought you new but then found you couldn't answer. If you can get the answer sheets for the exams even better, but don't look at them till you have attempted every question. Then write out the ones you did wrong in your own words. If you got a long wrong, go back review the material and try the same paper in a cople of days.

If you have a study partner even better. Both do the exam papers or exercise then compare the answers and discuss why you think you got them wrong and those you got right and why.

My fisrt exam for this semester is the 8th of June so it's time to start studing now. Well that's my tips. Have Fun all.


Revision Tips

Post 27

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...


Revision Tips

Post 28

Researcher PSG

Funnily enough, I'm doing a Programming subject at university.
I find as well as the things I suggested previously (see posting 1, and a couple of others), I find mucking around with psuedocode examples of real life things, and checking whether they would work, or if they don't, why? helps alot to mentally frame my understanding.

Just a thought. Good luck.smiley - smiley

Researcher PSG


Revision Tips

Post 29

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I see a patturn developing, I think basically, cause revision is so boaring, the gist of many posts here is that variety is the spice of revision. I guess it stops boardom looking at essentially the same thing in different ways, obviously the most important thing must be just to do the revision, but techneque is important or its a waste of time and you might as well be in the pub. So all out for variety; lecture notes, books, internet, journals, revision cards, revision books, clever sayings, past papers, study parterners, revision cassettes of your notes, and a bit of fun to relax at the end of it alll.


Key: Complain about this post