A Conversation for How to Choose an Astronomical Telescope

Sub Editor

Post 21

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm sure that you two can sort it out between you. smiley - smiley


Sub Editor

Post 22

AstroAde

Hi,

I didn't have the time I anticipated at the weekend to give the piece a thorough going over, but here's one paragraph I'd like to amend. Immediately after the 'Power Isn't Everything' heading, I'd like to change it to read:

"It may surprise you, but a telescope's aperture has no bearing on its magnification (or power). It's the instrument's focal length -- the distance from the lens or mirror to a point at which it forms an image of a distant object -- that governs magnifying power. When seeing an astronomical telescope for the first time, a novice will invariably ask: "How much does it magnify?" The fact is that a telescope can provide an almost infinitely variable range of magnifications depending on the eyepiece used with it. Two main factors limit the power we can use on any given instrument: aperture (again) and atmospheric conditions."

Regards,
Ade


Sub Editor

Post 23

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

I've started going through this. This thing is like 9 pages long! After reading all this, I've decided to just go to NASA's web site if I ever want to look at stars close up.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more