A Conversation for Glasgow

An alternative view ...

Post 1

Shelf

I have just returned to Glasgow after 15 years in England, and having put up with all the "Glasgow kiss" gags down south, I think it's about time somebody set the stereotypical record straight.

Glasgow may have replaced shipyards with call centres, but it is re-generating itself. When this process began in the 80's, I think its fair to say that the city's population wasn't quite in tune with the cafe society lifestyle that came with all the coffee shops and brasseries. The sight of wee men in macs and tammies walking into what was their local, only to find it had transformed itself into a wine bar, was a common sight.

Today, however, things appear to have changed. Although now back in my home city, I still retain (I think) a detached view of the place and have noticed that people are now more comfortable with the developments and changes.

On a more general note, I also think that some of the population's contentment comes from political developments in Scotland. Scottish national pride has a political dimension which its English cousin lacks. I'm not a nationalist myself, but the expression of pride in being Scottish is very different to the often unpleasant jingoistic antics seen in England. Scottish people have new sense of purpose.

Glasgow is noticeably more cosmopolitan than when I last lived here, and its people appear, on the whole, to be more tolerant than in some of the other cities I've lived in down south (London, Leicester, Bradford, Birmingham, and Wellingborough). Sure, there's still intolerance, and of course we have the ridiculous Protestant (Rangers) and Catholic (Celtic) religious bigotry, but Glaswegians are generally a friendly and welcoming lot.

This is in contrast to the situation that, in my experience, prevails in many of the English cities and towns I've visited. "Queue banter", which you'll get in Glasgow (and curiously Leeds and Bradford), doesn't seem to exist. Make polite or casual conversation in such circumstances and people look at you as if you must be a "Care in the Community" case.

I could go on, but I'm trying to write this whilst watching Scotland v South Africa in the Rugby World Cup and frankly, I'm too distracted!


An alternative view ...

Post 2

Hootsman

Greenock born, Glenrothes polly fillared and Cumbernauld breed, Glasgow has always been the mid point, hence its "home". I understand know what's been going on about me for several years. I just wish people would change there angle on bigotry in the city. I know its unacceptable, but peoples out and out say nothing to them just isn't going to work. As a celtic fan, I'll happily exchange banter with rangers fans, mock and tease, but at the end of the day respect them and expect all I've given to be taken light hearted and retaliated. It's extremism that will eventually kill off Glasga banter for good.


Key: Complain about this post

An alternative view ...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more